Women's Volleyball Tackles Saint Rose in the NE-10 Quarterfinals Tuesday Night
WARRIORS AND GOLDEN KNIGHTS SQUARE OFF FOR SPOT IN NORTHEAST-10 CHAMPIONSHIP SEMIFINALS
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. –Coming off a 9-5 record in conference play, the Merrimack College women's volleyball team are seeded seventh in the Northeast-10 Conference Championship and will travel to the second seed the College of Saint Rose on Tuesday, Nov. 19 for the NE-10 Championship Quarterfinals.
Game: Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013 | 7:00 p.m.
Records: #7 Merrimack (15-14, 9-5) | #2 Saint Rose (19-4, 11-3)
Location: Daniel P. Nolan Gymnasium | Albany, N.Y.
Last Time Out
The women's volleyball team was downed on Saturday afternoon by the Adelphi University Panthers in three straight sets.
The Navy and Gold fell behind early by a score of 10-8 but continued to chip away at the deficit. The Panthers pieced together 15-4 run to bring the score to 22-12. The Panthers got the better of the Warriors by a score of 25-15.
Merrimack took an early 3-2 lead before Adelphi tied the Navy and Gold at 4-all. Afterwards, the Panthers went on a 4-0 run to extend the lead to six (12-6). Adelphi went on taking the second set from the Warriors, 25-14.
The Warriors opened the third set with an 11-10 lead over Adelphi. The Panthers managed to go on a 4-0 run to bring the score to 14-12. Merrimack tied Adelphi at 21-21, but Merrimack was unable to stop the Panthers from going on a 4-1 run to end the set and match, 25-22.
Tuesday, November 19
Match 1: #8 American International at #1 New Haven – 7:00 pm
Match 2: #5 Franklin Pierce at #4 Adelphi – 7:00 pm
Match 3: #7 Merrimack at #2 Saint Rose – 7:00 pm
Match 4: #6 Stonehill at #3 Bentley – 7:00 pm
Friday, November 22
Match 5: Winner of Match 1 vs. Winner of Match 2 – Time TBD (5 p.m. / 7:30 p.m.)
Match 6: Winner of Match 3 vs. Winner of Match 4 – Time TBD (5 p.m. / 7:30 p.m.)
Saturday, November 23
Championship Finals –
Match 7: Match 5 Winner vs. Match 6 Winner – 5:00 p.m.
This Season against the Golden Knights:
- The Warriors defeated the College of Saint Rose, 3-1 (25-21, 25-23, 25-15, 25-17)
- Junior Stephanie Sheehan (Smithtown, N.Y.) recorded her ninth double-double, with 21 kills and 11 digs, while rookie Tara Stuhr (Huntington Beach, Calif.) assisted 45 of the 53 kills.
- Saint Rose finished the match with a .204 hitting percentage, while Merrimack averaged a .199 hitting percentage.
- Saint Rose Maryellen Devic tallied a team-high 12 kills, while the Golden Knights posted 24 blocks against the Warrior offense.
- Sheehan finished the regular season with a total of 420 kills, which ranks her second in the All-Time Record book in total kills in a season.
- Stuhr finished the regular season with 1091 assists, which ranks her third in the All-Time record book in total assists in a season.
- Junior Corrine Gosselin (Lawrence, Mass.) leads the team with 47 blocks assists, while junior Aliya Winker (Arlington, Va.) ranks second with 34 block assists.
- The Warriors ended the regular season with a .517 winning percentage, as well as a .643 winning percentage in the NE-10 conference.
The Golden Knights:
- Coming off a 3-0 victory against Stonehill College on Saturday afternoon.
- As a team, the Golden Knights average 12.1 kills per set, while their opponent averages 9.6 kills per set.
- Kelsey Lace leads the Golden Knights with 208 kills and averages 2.57 kills per frame.
- The Golden Knights average 2.4 blocks per set, while averaging 1.4 serving errors per set.