SENIOR OUTSIDE HITTER JACKIE JONES WILL BE HONORED TUESDAY NIGHT
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Coming off a 3-1 victory over American International on Saturday, the Merrimack College women's volleyball team returns to Hammel Court to host the Purple Knights of Saint Michael's College, Tuesday, Nov. 12 on senior night.
Prior to the start of the match, head coach TJ Hajjar and the Merrimack Athletic Department will honor the teams' only senior as part of Senior Night.
Game: Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2013 | 7:30 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (13-13, 7-4) | Saint Michael's (12-10, 4-8)
Location: Hammel Court| North Andover, Mass.
Last Time Out
Merrimack controlled the momentum in set one as they surged out with 10-9 lead, which shortly became a 20-10 lead. After going on a 10-0 run, the Navy and Gold took set one, 25-13. In the second frame, American International caught the Warriors off-guard, tying the game at 20-all. Merrimack managed to go on a 3-1 run, before the Yellow Jackets battled back, to take the second frame, 28-26.
AIC took an early 6-3 lead before Merrimack rallied back at brought the score to 14-12. With the score at 18-13, Merrimack went on a 4-0 to bring the score within three points. With the third set tied at 24-24, Merrimack finished strong on a 3-0 run to end the frame, 29-27. It was a quick set for the Warriors, as the Yellow Jackets ran out of fuel. Merrimack ended the set and match, 25-15.
Junior Stephanie Sheehan (Smithtown, N.Y.) tallied 12 kills and 15 digs, while freshman Jennifer Cain (Melrose, Mass.) notched 11 kills and 14 digs. Junior Aliya Winker (Arlington, Va.) and junior Corrine Gosselin (Lawrence, Mass.) wrecked havoc with AIC's offense as they combined for 10 blocks between them. Winker had seven kills, five blocks, and a dig, while Gosselin had six kills, five blocks, and three digs. Rookie Tara Stuhr (Huntington Beach, Calif.) assisted 47 points and eight digs, while sophomore Madison Burke (San Jose, Calif.) chimed in with 18 digs.
The Class of 2014
Prior to first whistle tonight, the Merrimack College Athletics Department will the honor senior outside hitter Jackie Jones (Amherst, N.H.).
During her four-year career, this senior has helped the Warriors post 28 wins since the beginning of the 2011 season. During her tenure, she helped the Warriors make major strides in 2012, as the team doubled their win total from the 2011 season. This season, she has the Navy and Gold post a 13-13 record, as the program seeks its first berth in the Northeast-10 Conference Championship since 2010.
Last Season against the Purple Knights:
- The Purple Knights defeated the volleyball team, 3-0.
- Game scores against Saint Michael's: 25-23, 25-23, 25-18
- Sheehan recorded her sixth double-double of the season with 13 kills and 11 digs.
- Burke led the Warriors once again in digs with 21 while former senior Brianna Trabucco (Canton, Mass.) finished with 32 assists and nine digs in a losing effort.
- The Purple Knights were led by Katie Walsh who recorded a team-high 12 kills and seven digs while Jess McLeod finished with a match-high 33 assists.
- Courtney Dunne finished off her impressive game with 19 digs in the victory for Saint Michael's
1.New Haven (12-0)
2. Bentley (9-2)
3. Saint Rose (9-3)
4. Stonehill (8-3)
5. Adelphi (9-4)
6. Merrimack (7-4)
T7. Franklin Pierce (7-5)
T7. Southern N.H. (7-5)
9. American International (6-6)
10. Southern Conn. State (5-7)
11. Saint Michael's (4-8)
12. Le Moyne (3-8)
T13. Saint Anselm (2-11)
T13. Assumption (2-11)
15. Pace (0-13)
- As a team, Merrimack averages 11.6 assists per set, 1.46 digs per frame, and 12.18 kills per set.
- Sheehan leads the team and the NE-10 averaging 3.90 kills per set, while tallying 4.44 point per frame.
- Stuhr currently ranks 42nd in Division II averaging 10.31 assist per set.
- Merrimack seeks its first berth in the Northeast-10 Conference Championship since 2010.
The Purple Knights:
- The Saint Michael's College women's volleyball team erased a two-set deficit with a 3-2 victory against Southern Connecticut State University.
- Setter Jess McLeod has a career total of 3,509 assist and will become the 20th player in NE-10 history to reach 3,500.
- Chelsey Covitz trails 2013 Saint Michael's Athletic Hall of Fame inductee Jess Allan '95 for second in school annals by seven kills.
- As a team, the Purple Knights averages 10.76 kills per set, 16.38 digs per frame, and 10.07 assists per frame.