THE WARRIORS LOOK FOR SEVENTH NORTHEAST-10 CONFERENCE WIN AGAINST THE YELLOW JACKETS
Links: Live Stats
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – After defeating Assumption College, 3-1, on Tuesday night, the Merrimack College women's volleyball team returns to Hammel Court to play host to the Yellow Jackets of American International College Saturday afternoon.
Game: Saturday, Nov. 9, 2013 | 1 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (11-13, 5-4) | American International
Location: Hammel Court| North Andover, Mass.
Last Time Out
Junior outside hitter Stephanie Sheehan (Smithtown, N.Y.) tallied her 10th double-double of the season with 17 kills and 11 digs, to help lead the Merrimack College women's volleyball team to a 3-1 victory over Northeast-10 Conference opponent Assumption College.
After three straight points from the Warriors, Merrimack took a 17-15 lead and extended the lead to five at 22-17. The Navy and Gold held together and took the first set, 25-21. In the second set, Assumption capped five straight points with another Johnston kill from the left side for a 13-5 lead before the Warriors ended that run. Merrimack took an eventual 23-22 lead on a kill from Jocelyn McClain (Fort Collins, Colo.), but the Hounds answered right back to tie the set at 23-23. A service ace from Assumption and an attack error on McLain gave the second set to the Hounds in a 25-23 final.
Merrimack held a 10-6 lead over the Greyhounds until Assumption went on a 4-0 run to bring the score within one point at 11-10. The Navy and Gold was slowly starting to pull away from Assumption and took the third set 25-15.
Midway through the final set, the Greyhounds started to fall apart and Merrimack took the final set, 25-18.
Last Season against the Yellow Jackets
- American International swept Merrimack, 3-0. (25-20, 25-18, 25-21)
- Merrimack was led offensively by Jackie Jones (Amherst, NH) who finished the game with a team-high seven kills, three digs and a team-high three kills in the loss.
- The Yellow Jackets were led offensively by Caitlin Connelly who finished of her night with a match-high 13 kills and eight digs.
- Corrine Gosselin (Lawrence, Mass.) continued her steady play finishing with six kills, two blocks and one dig while Sheehan recorded a team-high 11 digs and four digs.
1. New Haven (10-0)
2. Adelphi (9-2)
T3. Saint Rose (8-2)
T3. Bentley (8-2)
5. Stonehill (6-3)
T6. Southern N.H. (6-4)
T6. Merrimack (6-4)
8. American Int'l (6-5)
9. Franklin Pierce (5-5)
10. So. Connecticut (4-6)
11. Le Moyne (3-6)
12. Saint Michael's (3-7)
13. Saint Anselm (2-9)
14. Assumption (1-11)
15. Pace (0-11)
- Sheehan remains number one in the league with 355 kills and averaging 3.94 kills per set.
- Rookie Tara Stuhr (Huntington Beach, Calif.) ranks first in the conference averaging 10.24 assist per frame.
- Gosselin leads the squad with 44 blocks, while Sheehan has accumulated 41 on the season.
- As a team, Merrimack has accumulated a .172 hitting percentage on the year, while its opponent averages a .178 hitting percentage.
The Yellow Jackets:
- Coming off a 3-1 loss to Southern Connecticut State Tuesday night.
- As a team, th Yellow jackets averages 11.53 kills per frame and 10.74 kills per set, as well as 16.68 dig per set.
- Bailey Swan ranks eighth in the NE-10 conference and leads the squad averaging 2.88 kills per set.
- American International ranks third in the NE-10 in errors with 558.