Women's Volleyball Travels to Worcester, Mass. to Face Assumption College Tuesday Night
THE WARRIORS LOOK FOR SIXTH NORTHEAST-10 CONFERENCE WIN AGAINST THE GREYHOUNDS
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – After defeating non-conference opponent Mercy College, 3-1, then falling to NYIT, 3-0, Saturday afternoon, the Merrimack College women's volleyball team returns to Northeast-10 Conference play when it travels to Worcester, Mass. to face the Greyhounds of Assumption College Tuesday night at Laska Gymnasium.
Game: Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2013 | 7 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (11-13, 5-4) | Assumption (4-16, 1-10)
Location: Laska Gymnasium| Worcester, Mass.
Last Time Out
Junior Stephanie Sheehan (Smithtown, N.Y.) finished the day with a .131 hitting percentage, while averaging 3.43 kills per frame and 3.00 digs per set. Rookie Tara Stuhr (Huntington Beach, Calif.) led the offense with 68 total assists and averaged 9.71 assists per frame. Freshman Jocelyn McLain (Fort Collins, Colo.) posted 21 kills and a .194 hitting percentage. Junior Corrine Gosselin (Lawrence, Mass.) and junior Aliya Winker (Arlingotn, Va.) registered two and four total blocks. Sophomore libero Madison Burke (San Jose, Calif.) chimed in 28 digs.
Game 1: In the first set, the Warrior took control of the game 12-8 before the Mavericks went on a 4-1 run to bring the score to 13-12. The Warriors couldn't answer back to the Mavericks dropping the set, 25-21. Mercy College led for the beginning of the set, before Merrimack secured the second set, 25-23. Merrimack took a 16-9 lead over the Mavericks and the third set, 25-22. In the final match, the Mavericks succumbed to the Warriors, 25-16.
Game 2: The Warriors took and 8-6 lead over the Bears before NYIT came back to tie the game at 13-all. After an attack error by Sheehan, NYIT went on a 4-0 to bring the lead to 17-14 and force Merrimack to take a timeout. NYIT took the first set, 25-22, after a bad set from Stuhr. It was a quick second set for the Bears, taking the frame 25-15. In the final frame, it was NYIT coming out strong and taking the final set and match, 25-10.
Last Season against the Greyhounds
- The Warriors defeated Assumption, 3-2, (25-20, 25-22, 25-19, 25-21, 15-8).
- Former senior Brianna Trabucco (Canton, Mass.) who recorded a career-high 50 assists, nine digs and three kills in the senior day victory.
- Outside hitter Stephanie Sheehan finished with a team-high 17 kills and 11 digs and fellow Warrior Corrine Gosselin finished with a career-high 15 kills.
- The Greyhounds were led by Ryan Merle who finished with a game-high 19 kills and five blocks while setter Kristin Flatekval finished with 48 assists and six digs.
top eight qualify for postseason
1. New Haven (9-0)
2. Adelphi (9-1)
T3. Saint Rose (7-2)
T3. Bentley (7-2)
5. Stonehill (6-3)
T6. Southern New Hampshire (6-4)
T6. American International (6-4)
8. Merrimack (5-4)
9. Franklin Pierce (5-5)
10. Le Moyne (3-5)
11. Southern Connecticut (3-6)
12. Saint Michael's (3-7)
13. Saint Anselm (2-8)
14. Assumption (1-10)
15. Pace (0-11)
- As a team, Merrimack ranks fifth in the NE-10 with 12.00 kills per set and ranks fourth in the conference averaging 11.42 assists per frame.
- Stephanie Sheehan leads the NE-10 and the team with 338 kills and averages 3.93 kills per set, while Tara Stuhr leads the NE-10 and the team with 870 assists and averages 10.12 assists per frame.
- Defensively, junior Corrine Gosselin leads the team with 43 total blocks, while Sheehan registers 40 total blocks.
- Merrimack averages 1.42 blocks per frame and 15.86 digs per set.
- Coming off a 3-1 loss to Bentley University Tuesday night.
- As a team, Assumption averages 9.82 kills per set and 9.20 assists per frame.
- Both middle hitter Ann Donahue and outside hitter Mary Johnston post a team-high 137 kills, while Donahue averages 2.11 kills per set.
- Setter Kristin Flatekval averages 8.16 assists per frame.