THE WARRIORS IMPROVE TO 11-13 OVERALL AND REMAIN SEVENTH IN THE NE-10 CONFERENCE
OLD WESTBURY, N.Y. – The Merrimack College women's volleyball team split a double header today on the New York Institute of Technology Campus in Old Westbury, N.Y. The Warriors took the first match, 3-1, against Mercy College but managed to drop the second match, 3-0, against NYIT.
Game 1 Score: Merrimack 3 | Mercy 1
Game 2 Score: Merrimack 0 | NYIT 3
Records: Merrimack (11-13, 5-4) | Mercy (9-16) | NYIT 23-4
Location: Recreation Hall | Old Westbury, NY.
How It Happened
Game 1: Outside hitter Stephanie Sheehan (Smithtown, N.Y) collected her ninth double-double of the season with 13 kills and 12 digs, while Jocelyn McLain (Fort Collins, Colo.) posted a team-high and her first double-double of the season with 15 kills and 10 digs. Rookie Tara Stuhr (Huntington Beach, Colo.) posted her fifth double-double of the season with 42 assists and 12 digs. Sophomore, Madison Burke (San Jose, Calif.) chipped in with 19 digs, while Sheehan and Corrine Gosselin (Lawrence, Mass.) recorded a team-high three blocks.
In the first set, the Warrior took control of the game 12-8 before the Mavericks went on a 4-1 run to bring the score to 13-12. The Warriors couldn't answer back to the Mavericks dropping the set, 25-21. It was an offensive battle between the two teams. Mercy College led for the beginning of the set, before Merrimack went on a 6-0 to take its first lead in the set, 21-18. Merrimack secured the second set, 25-23.
After the second, set Mercy's energy level decrease and Merrimack managed to capitalize on this edge. Merrimack took a 16-9 lead over the Mavericks and the third set, 25-22. In the final match, the Mavericaks succumbed to the Warriors, 25-16.
Game 2: Sheehan, the Smithtown, N.Y. native, tallied a team-high 11 kills and nine digs. Gosselin and McLain chimed in with seven and six digs each, respectively. Stuhr assisted 27 of the 29 kills for the Warriors, while Burke finished with nine digs.
In the opening set, it was a point-by-point battle between Merrimack and NYIT. The Warriors took and 8-6 lead over the Bears before NYIT came back to tie the game at 13-all. After an attack error by Sheehan, NYIT went on a 4-0 to bring the lead to 17-14 and force Merrimack to take a timeout. NYIT took the first set, 25-22, after a bad set from Stuhr. It was a quick second set for the Bears, taking the frame 25-15.
In the final frame, it was NYIT coming out strong and taking the final set and match, 25-10.
- "Overall I think we played pretty well today," said head coach TJ Hajjar. "Against Mercy College, we played Merrimack volleyball and kept the intensity level up in the last three sets." "We managed to keep the intenisty level up in the first set against NYIT and we just slowly started to fall apart."
A Closer Look
- The Warriors posted a .167 hitting percentage, while Mercy College recorded a .107 hitting percentage.
- Junior Aliya Winker (Arlington, Va.) tallied nine kills and a team high four blocks.
- Gosselin had a .421 kill percentage.
- Mercy Brenna White recorded a team-high 19 kills and 11 digs, as well as being the one Maverick tallying a double-double on the afternoon.
- Merrimack finished the match with a .075 hitting percentage, while NYIT posted a .375 hitting percentage.
- Collected a total of 22 kills, 27 assists, 31 digs, and two blocks.
- Sheehan led the team with a .269 attack percentage.
The Warriors return to action Tuesday, Nov. 5, when they travel to Worcester, Mass. to face the Greyhounds of Assumption College in a NE-10 showdown. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m.