West Haven, Conn. – The Merrimack College women's volleyball team dropped a tough three-set match to Northeast-10 Conference 10 opponent University of New Haven, and in the late game, despite junior outside hitter Stephanie Sheehan (Smithtown, N.Y.) posting eight kills and four digs, the Warriors were swept by No. 8 Nebraska-Kearney, 3-0.
Game 1 Score: New Haven 3, Merrimack 0
Game 2 Score: Nebraska-Kearney 3, Merrimack 0
Records: Merrimack (7-9, 2-1) | New Haven (12-3, 5-0) | Nebraska-Kearney (17-2)
Location: Charger Gymnasium | West Haven, Conn.
How It Happened
Game 1: Sheehan led the offense for Warriors, with her fifth double-double of the season with 14 kills and 15 digs. Rookie Jennifer Cain (Melrose, Mass.) recorded six kills and 12 digs, while Taciane Santos (Everett, Mass.) posted five kills and a solo block. Madison Burke (San Jose, Calif.) chimed in with 11 digs, while Tara Stuhr (Huntington Beach, Calif.) assisted 32 of the 35 kills for the Warriors.
In the first set, Merrimack trailed New Haven, 14-10, before the Chargers went on a 7-0 run to secure a 21-11 lead. New Haven took the first set, 25-15. Merrimack battled in the second and tied New Haven, 14-14, but Merrimack was unable to stop the Chargers' offense from taking the set, 25-22. In the final set, Merrimack was able to tie the Chargers at 16-all, but lost the final set and match, 25-19.
Game 2: Outside hitter Sheehan collected a team-high eight kills. Senior Jackie Jones (North Andover, Mass.) contributed seven of the 24 kills. Stuhr added 19 assisted to her season total with five digs and two blocks. Burke collected 12 digs on the afternoon.
The Warriors battled in the first set, tying Neb. Kearney 14-all, but Merrimack was unable to secure the lead. Nebraska-Kearney took the first set, 25-17. Both teams traded points but Nebraska-Kearney took the second set, 25-14. Nebraska-Kearney took the final set, 25-9.
A Closer Look
- New Haven posted a .224 hitting percentage, while Merrimack posted .083.
- Amber Cannady recorded 12 kills and two blocks.
- Merrimack posted 50 digs, 32 assists, and 35 kills.
- Sheehan posted her fifth double-double against the Chargers.
- As a team, Merrimack posted a .061 hitting percentage and tallied 11 blocks.
- Gosselin and Taciane Santos posted a team-high three blcoks each.
- Nebraska-Kearney finished with a .333 hitting percentage and 18 blocks.
- Ashely Leitner was the only Loper to record a double-double, 10 kills and 15 digs.
The Warriors will be back in action Tuesday, Oct. 15, when they rematch the Bentley University Falcons in Nortehast-10 conference play. The match is scheduled for 7 p.m.