WARRIORS HOST THE OWLS IN A NORTHEAST-10 BATTLE ON SATURDAY
Links: Live Stats
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – After sweeping Assumption, 3-0, on Tuesday, the Merrimack College women's volleyball team will play host to Southern Connecticut State University Saturday afternoon for the Warriors Northeast-10 Conference season opener at Hammel Court. The match is set for 1 p.m.
Date/Time: Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013 | 1 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (5-7) | Southern Connecticut State (10-4, 1-1)
Location: Hammel Court | North Andover, Mass.
Last Time Out
The Warriors cruised through the first the competition in the first set by a score of 25-11. After a huge kill from Cain, Merrimack went on a 6-0 run to take a strong lead and secure the second set, 25-16.The third set began as a back and forth struggle with both teams tied 15-all before the Navy and Gold rattled off five quick points and never looked back to take the final set and match 25-17.
Freshman Tara Stuhr (Huntington Beach, Calif.) registered 42 assists and five digs, while freshman Jennifer Cain (Melrose, Mass.) posted a team-high 14 kills. Junior Stephanie Sheehan (Smithtown, N.Y.) recorded 12 kills and eight digs and Corrine Gosselin (Lawrence, Mass.) tallied six kills and two blocks. Sophomore libero Madison Burke (San Jose, Calif.) added 24 digs.
Last Season against the Owls
- Southern defeated the Warriors in three sets: 25-17, 25-20, 25-22.
- Former senior Shaunda Forcier (Gonic, NH) who recorded a team-high nine kills and three digs
- Senior Brianna Trabucco (Canton, Mass.) racked up 29 assists and seven digs.
- The Owls finished the match with a .304 hitting percentage while Merrimack finished with .182.
- Both teams registered 5.0 blocks.
- Merrimack averages 12.0 kills per set and 115 assists per set while its opponents average 11.7 kills per set and 10.7 assists per set.
- Sheehan leads the team and the Northeast-10 conference with 162 kills (3.95 kills per set)
- Burke ranks first in the NE-10 with an average of 5.68 digs per set.
- Gosselin tallied 19 blocks on the season.
- The Warriors average a team-high .266 hitting percentage against Post University on Sept. 21st
- Lauren McVey leads the Owls with 148 kills on the season.
- Nicole Hauser tallied 244 assists while Taylor Carlson posted 232 assists on the season.
- Southern Conn. averages a hitting percentage of .174, while its opponent averages a .109 hitting percentage.
- Sarah Beres leads the owls with 54 blocks.