WARRIORS (1-6) AND SAINT ANSELM (4-2) MEET FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS SEASON ON TUESDAY
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women's volleyball team went 1-2 last week, earning their first victory of the season against Molloy College, 3-0. The Navy and Gold fell to Bentley 3-2 and Nyack 3-0. Merrimack returns home when it hosts Saint Anselm on Tuesday, Sept. 17 at 7 p.m.
Date/Time: Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2013 | 7 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (1-6)|Saint Anselm (4-2)
Location: Hammel Court| North Andover, Mass.
Last Time Out
In the first match of the day, the Warriors ran away with the first set, 25-23. Merrimack and Molloy were tied at 12-all before the Warriors rattled off three quick points and took the second frame, 25-20. The Navy and Gold cruised through the final frame by a score of 25-22.
In the second match, Merrimack fell behind early and lost, 25-23, against Nyack. Nyack took an 11-4 lead and defeated the Warriors, 25-23, in set two. In the third frame, Nyack ended the set and match, 25-22.
Freshman Tara Stuhr (Huntington Beach, Calif.) assisted 33 points for the Warriors against Molloy College. Junior Stephanie Sheehan (Smithtown, N.Y.) posted 13 kills against Molloy. Junior Madison Burke (San Jose, Calif.) collected 10 digs against Molloy and Nyack. Senior Jackie Jones (Amherst, N.H.) and junior Aliya Winker (Arlington, Va.) tallied two blocks each against Molloy.
Last Season against Saint Anselm
Lost their First Appearance 3-1: 27-25, 25-20, 25-22, 25-20
- Outside hitter Stephanie Sheehan led with a match-high 15 kills and also tallied 16 digs for a double-double
- Merrimack held an 80-75 digs advantage over Saint Anselm.
- Saint Anselm had a team-hitting percentage of .180.
- Madison Burke continued her strong play, finishing with a career-high 21 digs for the Warriors.
Lost Their Second Appearance 3-2: 25-21, 25-22, 25-16, 25-15, 15-13
- Merrimack was led offensively by Stephanie Sheehan who recorded her first career 20-20 game as she finished with 20 kills and 20 digs for the match.
- Madison Burke racked up 26 digs in the loss.
- Merrimack had a team-hitting percentage of .232.
- Merrimack and Saint Anselm tied with 11.0 blocks
- Overall record of 1-6
- Stephanie Sheehan leads the team and the Northeast-10 with 85 kills.
- The team averages 10.83 kills and 10.35 assists per game.
- Tara Stuhr leads the team with 209 assists (9.09 a/set)
- The Hawks are now 4-2, falling to Queens (N.Y.) and Southern New Hampshire.
- Kayla Gustavson leads the team with 51 kills (2.21 k/set)
- Natalie Steinwart leads the team with 219 assists (9.52 a/set)
- Saint Anselm has a team-kill percentage .181