MERRIMACK OPENS 2013 VOLLEYBALL SEASON IN AUSTIN, TEXAS
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women's volleyball team opens up the 2013 season in the Lone Star State against some of the nation's top competition, traveling to Austin, Texas, to compete in the Hilltopper Rattler Classic. The Warriors take the court for a non-conference double header against Saint Edwards and Adams State on Friday afternoon and evening.
The Warriors return to action this Saturday, Sept. 6, for the second round of the Hilltopper-Rattler Classic against Western New Mexico and Minnesota-Crookton. All games this weekend are scheduled for 2 p.m. and 6 p.m., Eastern Time, respectively.
Hilltopper-Rattler Classic Tournament
Game 1: Friday, September, 6, 2013 | 2 p.m. vs. St. Edwards
Game 2: Friday, September 6, 2013 | 6 p.m. vs. Adams State
Game 3: Saturday, September 7, 2013 | 2 p.m. vs. Western New Mexico
Game 4: Saturday, September 7, 2013 | 6:00 p.m. Minn.-Crookston
Records: Merrimack (0-0) | St. Edwards University(0-0) | Adams State (0-0) | Western New Mexico (0-0) | Minn.-Crookston (0-0)
Location: Recreation and Convocation Center | Austin, Texas
Last Time Out
The Warriors return to action for the first time since falling to Saint Rose, 3-0, in their last regular season game. The Warriors made major strides in 2012 as they doubled their won total from a season ago. This young team finished out their 2012 season with an overall record of 10-20.
Merrimack was led offensively by Stephanie Sheehan (Smithtown, N.Y.) who finished third in the conference in kills per set and also collected 288 digs. Defensively, the Warriors will be led by sophomore libero Madison Burke (San Jose, Calif.), who averaged 3.91 digs per set a season ago. On the block, 5-foot-10 middle blocker Corrine Gosselin (Lawrence, Mass.) returns after averaging 0.64 blocks per set last season.
Scouting out St. Edwards
- The St. Edward's Hilltoppers were picked to finish third in the Heartland Conference Preseason Poll
- Junior outside hitter Mary Koehler leads the team with 269 kills
- The team has earned the American Volleyball Coaches Association Team Academic Award seven times
Scouting out Adams State
- Senior setter Gabriella Riffilato has been named Preseason Setter of the Year and was the 2012 RMAC Setter of the Year
- The Grizzlies made their first-ever NCAA Division II Tournament appearance and their second straight Rocky Mountain Atlantic Conference West Division Title in 2012
- Senior middle hitter Deprece Washington earned a spot on the RMAC All-Tournament Team after having a tremendous last season
Scouting out Western New Mexico
- Senior outside hitter Angelina Pulu led the team and the RMAC in kills with 455, and kills per set with 4.17. Also,
- Pulu also led the Mustangs in digs with 406, averaging 3.72 pet set. In addition, she was amongst the team leaders in blocks with 52, including 14 solo and led the team in service aces with 21
- The Mustangs went 15-15 and 12-7 in the RMAC last season and made the RMAC Tournament as a seventh seed.
Scouting out Minnesota -Crookton
- 614 - Number of kills in two seasons for junior outside hitter Brittany Looker
- Senior libero Chelsea Wiesner is quickly approaching the UMC career digs record set by Jaclyn Slepicka in 2009 with 1,471 digs.