BOSTON, Mass. – Highlighted by the 2016-17 indoor debut from senior captain Carly Muscaro (Ashland, Mass.) that featured a first-place finish and improvement of her New England Intercollegiate record in the 400m, the Merrimack College women's track and field team yet again shined across two meets at Boston University and the University of Southern Maine this past weekend.
Event: John Thomas Terrier Invitational | U. of Southern Main Open
Top Finishers: BU – Muscaro (1st – 400m) | USM – Barnett (1st – SP), Pernell (1st – 55m)
Location: Boston, Mass. | Portland, Maine
What They Said
Head coach Jacky Mendes, "This was an amazing weekend for the Warriors! Carly's Friday night performance put her among the best in the world and we saw stellar performances from Pernell and the women's 4 x 400. Merrimack is in the heart of the indoor season and on track to have the strongest year ever once again."
How It Happened
- After an incredible junior campaign that garnered two national titles and a trip to the Olympic trials, Muscaro picked up right where she left off in kicking off her senior season at Boston University on Friday. She won the 400m at a time of 52.27, bettering her New England Intercollegiate record with the third-best time in the nation this season, including Division I. The blistering time also fell just 0.05 seconds short of the all-time DII record.
- The Warriors saw multiple strong performances on the track this weekend, as sophomore Michaela Pernell (Naugatuck, Conn.) posted the best time in the Northeast-10 Conference and #12 in DII in the 200m at BU (24.89). She also added a first-place finish at the USM Open in the 55m dash (7.75). Pernell and Muscaro would also be joined by sophomore Mariessa Ricciardi (Holden, Mass.) and senior captain Olivia Downey (Melrose, Mass.) to post the fourth-best time in Division II this season in the 4x400m relay (3:47.62).
- Merrimack also founbd consistent success in the distance events on the track at Southern Maine, posting three top-three finishes. Senior captain Claire Aalerud (Winchester, Mass.) finished third in the 5000m (19:39.85), while sophomore Morgan DeBolt (Mansfield, Mass.) also finished third in the 1000m (3:20.19) and classmate Rebecca Meinertz (Smithfield, R.I.) finished second in the 3000m (11:38.08).
- Senior captain Sarah Barnett (Bridgewater, Mass.) was a key contributor to the Warriors' success at Southern Maine in field events, registering a win in the shot put with a 12.44m throw and adding a third-place finish in the high jump at 1.53m.
- C. Muscaro – 400m (1st – 52.27). NEICAAA Record. NCAA Auto Qualifier. #1 Division II, #3 NCAA. #2 All-Time Division II.
- M. Pernell – 200m (11th – 24.89). School rank #2. NE10 Rank #1. #12 Division II.
- 4 x 400m Relay – (2nd – 3:47.62). School rank #2. NE10 Rank #1. #4 Division II.
The Warriors return to BU next weekend for the Scarlet and White Invitational.