Women's Tennis Falls to Chestnut Hill, 5-0, in NCAA East Regional
GRIFFINS SWEEP WARRIORS IN DAY ONE OF EAST REGIONAL SATURDAY MORNING
COLD SPRING HARBOR, N.Y. – Making its first NCAA Tournament debut since 2009, the Merrimack College women's tennis team suffered a 5-0 loss to fourth-seeded Chestnut Hill in the first round of the NCAA Tournament East Regional on Saturday morning at Cold Spring Harbor High School.
Merrimack, seeded fifth in the east region, finishes the 2013-14 season with an overall record of 15-5 while posting a perfect 12-0 conference record. The Warriors captured their first Northeast-10 Conference regular season while earning the program's first Northeast-10 Championship title since 2002.
Score: No. 4 Chestnut Hill 5, No. 5 Merrimack 0
Records: Merrimack (15-5) | Chestnut Hill (19-9)
Location: Cold Spring Harbor High School | Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.
East Region #1 Bracket
No. 4 Chestnut Hill 5, No. 5 Merrimack 0
No. 1 NYIT vs. No. 4 Chestnut Hill – 11 a.m.
How it Happened
Chestnut Hill claimed all three doubles matches to grasp a 3-0 lead heading into singles action.
Merrimack's top duo of Grace Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) and Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) were unable to give the Warriors a point in No. 1 doubles as the duo fell 9-7 to Charlotte Dawson and Marie Deleval. Rachel Muller (North Andover, Mass.) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, N.H) also put in a good effort but were defeated 8-6 in No. 3 doubles.
Down 3-0, the Warriors were unable to captured a point in singles and the Griffins secured the match sweep with wins in No. 1 and No. 6 singles.
Looking to get a late rally going, S. Messina and Muller captured first set wins in No. 3 and No. 5 singles, respectively. However, G. Messina fell to Dawson in No. 1 singles 6-2, 6-3 to give the Griffins a 4-0 lead.
Still looking for its first point of the afternoon, senior Kara Hole (Portsmouth, R.I.) forced a third set match against Kelly Dennis in No. 4 singles, but Barnes came up short in No. 6 singles and Chestnut Hill's Axe Owen clinched the sweep for the Griffins, 6-2, 6-2.
1. Charlotte Dawson/Marie Deleval (CHCW) def. Grace Messina/Shakee Messina (MER) 9-7
2. Kelly Dennis/Iman Williams-Mulesa (CHCW) def. Chealsey Giatrelis/Kara Hole (MER) 8-3
3. Morgan Oechsle/Axe Owens (CHCW) def. Rachel Muller/Alyx Barnes (MER) 8-6
1. Charlotte Dawson (CHCW) def. Grace Messina (MER) 6-2, 6-3
2. Iman Williams-Mulesa (CHCW) vs. Chealsey Giatrelis (MER) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
3. Marie Deleval (CHCW) vs. Shakee Messina (MER) 2-6, 1-3, unfinished
4. Kelly Dennis (CHCW) vs. Kara Hole (MER) 6-2, 1-6, 2-1, unfinished
5. Morgan Oechsle (CHCW) vs. Rachel Muller (MER) 6-7 (5-7), 1-1, unfinished
6. Axe Owens (CHCW) def. Alyx Barnes (MER) 6-2, 6-2
What They Said
"This has been an outstanding season for this team and I am extremely proud of every player," said head coach Peter Arsenault. "We achieved numerous team goals this year and these six players worked very hard to win the programs third Northeast-10 Title and reach the NCAA Tournament once again. I am excited for next year and we will build upon the success of this team."