Women's Tennis Claims Northeast-10 Regular Season Title, Edges Stonehill 5-4 Saturday
WARRIORS CLAIM FIRST NE-10 REGULAR SEASON TITLE AND IMPROVE TO 12-4 ON THE SEASON
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women's tennis team defeated reigning Northeast-10 Conference Champions Stonehill College 5-4, claiming its first Northeast-10 Regular Season title Saturday afternoon in North Andover, Mass.
Score: Merrimack 5, Stonehill 4
Records: Merrimack (12-4, 11-0 NE-10) | Stonehill (16-6, 10-2 NE-10)
Location: North Andover High | North Andover, Mass.
How it Happened
Merrimack claimed a pair of victories in doubles action to start singles play with a 2-1 lead.
The Warriors' top pair Grace Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) and Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) prevailed, 8-3, in No. 1 doubles. Kara Hole (Portsmouth, R.I.) and Chealsey Giatrelis earned an 8-3 victory in No. 2 doubles. Rachel Muller (North Andover, Mass.) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, N.H.) were defeated in No. 3 doubles by the score of 8-4.
The Warriors took three of the six singles matches to seal the 5-4 home victory against the Skyhawks.
In No. 1 singles, G. Messina earned the 6-2, 2-1 victory against Kirsti Torgemann while Giatrelis defeated Bailey Paradiso in No. 2 singles, 6-0, 6-2. S. Messina prevailed in No. 3 doubles with a 6-4, 4-6, 7-5 victory against Meryl Lawrence.
Stonehill defeated the Warriors in the final three matches of the day. Analise Kump claimed a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Hole while Kaitlyn Martin triumphed over Muller, 7-5, 4-6, 10-4. In the final match of the day, Lorraine Smith added a 6-1, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles.
1. Grace Messina/Shakee Messina (MER) def. Bailey Paradiso/Kaitlyn Martin (STO) 8-3
2. Chealsey Giatrelis/Kara Hole (MER) def. Kirsti Toegemann/Meryl Lawrence (STO) 8-3
3. Analise Kump/Lorraine Smith (STO) def. Rachel Muller/Alyx Barnes (MER) 8-4
1. Grace Messina (MER) def. Kirsti Toegemann (STO) 6-2, 2-1, retired
2. Chealsey Giatrelis (MER) def. Bailey Paradiso (STO) 6-0, 6-2
3. Shakee Messina (MER) def. Meryl Lawrence (STO) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
4. Analise Kump (STO) def. Kara Hole (MER) 7-5, 6-2
5. Kaitlyn Martin (STO) def. Rachel Muller (MER) 7-5, 4-6, 10-4
6. Lorraine Smith (STO) def. Alyx Barnes (MER) 6-1, 6-1
** top six teams selected for postseason
2. Stonehill (10-2)
3. Adelphi (8-1)
4. So. New Hampshire (8-2)
T5. Saint Michael's (6-3)
T5. Bentley (6-3)
T7. New Haven (5-6)
T7. Assumption (5-6)
9. American International (3-7)
10. Le Moyne (3-8)
11. Saint Anselm (2-9)
12. Franklin Pierce (1-10)
13. Saint Rose (0-11)
- The Warriors earn the No. 1 seed for the Northeast-10 Conference Tournament and will have a first-round bye.
First Round: Wednesday, April 23
Match1: #3 vs. #6 TBA
Match 2: #4 vs. #5 TBA
Semifinal: Friday, April 25
Match 3: #2 vs. Winner of Match 2 TBA
Match 4: #1 vs. Winner of Match 1 TBA
Final: Sunday, April 27
Match 5: Winner of Match 3 vs. Winner of Match 4 TBA
The Warriors return to action on Thursday, April 17, when they travel to Manchester, N.H. to take on Southern New Hampshire in a Northeast-10 Conference battle. First serve is scheduled for 3 p.m.