Women's Tennis Picks Up 6-3 Non Conference Victory At Colby Sawyer
NEW LONDON, NH – The Merrimack women's tennis team picked up the 6-3 non conference victory over Colby Sawyer on Wednesday afternoon. With the win, Merrimack is now 6-11 overall and 5-5 in conference play.
The Warriors picked up two of the possible three points in doubles matches as the third pairing of Katie Veasey (Atkinson, NH) and Rachel Muller (North Andover, Mass.) defeated their opponents by the score of 8-4. The duo of Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, Mass.) and Kara Hole (Portsmouth, RI) continued their strong play with the 9-8 (7-3) victory.
In no. 1 singles action, Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) defeated Liz Lincoln in a timely manner by the score of 6-0, 6-2. Muller came up with a big point for the Warriors as she defeated her opponent by the score of 6-1, 6-3 while freshman Tiana Dame (Wachusett, Mass.) finished off her opponent in no. 6 singles action by the score of 6-3, 6-4. Fitzgerald picked up her second win of the night with the three set victory over Donna Gordon by the score of 1-6, 6-4, 10-7.
Merrimack will return to action on Friday as they will travel to take on AIC in a conference match at 2:00 p.m.
1. Shakee Messina (MC) def. Liz Lincoln (CSC) 6-0, 6-2
2. Ashlyn Ramsay (CSC) def. Kara Hole (MC) 6-4, 6-3
3. Rachel Muller (MC) def. Charlotte Horton (CSC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Claire Toffey (CSC) def. Alyx Barnes (MC) 6-0, 6-2
5. Mollie Fitzgerald (MC) def. Donna Gordon (CSC) 1-6, 6-4, 10-7
6. Tiana Dame (MC) def. Oxana Tkachenko (CSC) 6-3, 6-4
1. Toffey/Lincoln (CSC) def. Barnes/Messina (MC) 8-0
2. Hole/Fitzgerald (MC) def. Gordon/Ramsay (CSC) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Muller/Veasey (MC) def. Horton/Tkachenko (CSC) 8-4