Women’s Tennis Falls at Southern NH in Northeast-10 Quarters, 5-0
MANCHESTER, NH- The sixth-seeded Merrimack women's tennis team was eliminated from the Northeast-10 Tournament with a 5-0 loss at third-seeded Southern NH in the quarterfinals Wednesday afternoon. The Warriors dip to 9-14 on the year while the Penmen jump to 16-5 overall.
"We battled hard today against a very good team and I am proud of the way we played," said head coach Sean Tully.
Southern swept the three doubles matches to sport a 3-0 lead heading into singles action.
Courtney Garvey (Woburn, MA) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, NH) suffered an 8-3 loss at the top position. Kara Hole (Portsmouth, RI) and Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, MA) dropped an 8-4 decision at the No. 2 slot. Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) and Erin McMahon (Wilmington, MA) endured an 8-0 setback at the third spot.
Southern NH sealed the playoff-win with two singles points, halting the match after the Penmen reached the required five points.
Messina trailed 1-0 in the second set at the No. 1 position after prevailing in the first 6-2. Hole absorbed a 6-3, 6-1 loss at the No. 2 slot and Barnes fell 6-1, 6-2 at the fourth spot.
Garvey and Southern NH's Amanda Albuquerque were level at 5-5 in the first frame at the No. 3 spot when the match was called. Fitzgerald dropped the first game of the opening set at the No. 5 position as action was suspended.
1. Mukdaprakorn/Vamvakitis (SNH) def. Garvey/Barnes (MER) 8-3
2. Hann/S. Jean (SNH) def. Hole/Fitzgerald (MER) 8-4
3. K. Jean/Albuquerque (SNH) def. Messina/McMahon (MER) 8-0
1. Messina (MER) vs. Mukdaprakorn (SNH) 6-2, 0-1, unfinished
2. Vamvakitis (SNH) def. Hole (MER) 6-3, 6-1
3. Garvey (MER) vs. Albuquerque (SNH) 5-5, unfinished
4. Hann (SNH) def. Barnes (MER) 6-1, 6-2
5. Fitzgerald (MER) vs. S. Jean (SNH) 0-1, unfinished
6. McMahon (MER) vs. K. Jean (SNH) uncontested