Women’s Tennis Absorbs Second Conference Loss, Falls at Adelphi
WEST HEMPSTEAD, NY- The Merrimack women's tennis team had its three-match winning streak halted with a 7-2 loss at Adelphi Sunday evening. The Warriors drop to 7-10 on the year and 6-2 in the Northeast-10 Conference. The Panthers elevated to 12-2 overall and 7-0 in league play with the win.
The hosts claimed a pair of doubles victories to boast a 2-1 lead at the start of singles action. Merrimack's lone win came at the No. 2 spot as Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, MA) and Kara Hole (Portsmouth, RI) picked up an 8-4 decision. Courtney Garvey (Woburn, MA) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, NH) suffered an 8-3 loss at the top slot. Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) and Katie Veasey (Atkinson, NH) fell 8-3 at the No. 3 position.
In singles play, Hole captured the Warriors' only victory as she prevailed 7-4 in a first-set tiebreaker before securing a 6-1 win in the second set.
Messina endured a 6-2, 6-1 loss at the No. 1 spot while Garvey dropped a 6-3, 6-0 decision at the third slot. Barnes absorbed 6-4, 6-4 setback at the fourth singles position. Fitzgerald and Erin McMahon (Wilmington, MA) each fell in eight-game pro-sets at the fifth and sixth spots, respectively.
Up next, Merrimack will host Saint Rose and Southern New Hampshire April 6 and 7.
1. Toft/Haich (ADE) def. Barnes/Garvey (MER) 8-3
2. Fitzgerald/Hole (MER) def. Redzematoric/King (ADE) 8-4
3. Adia/Smith (ADE) def. Messina/Veasey (MER) 8-3
1. Toft (ADE) def. Messina (MER) 6-2, 6-1
2. Hole (MER) def. Redzematoric (ADE) 7-6, 6-1
3. Adia (ADE) def. Garvey (MER) 6-3, 6-0
4. Haich (ADE) def. Barnes (MER) 6-4, 6-4
5. Smith (ADE) def. Fitzgerald (MER) 8-2
6. King (ADE) def. McMahon (MER) 8-1