Women’s Tennis Triumphs at Franklin Pierce, 7-1
RINDGE, NH- The Merrimack women's tennis team captured a 7-1 victory at Franklin Pierce Wednesday afternoon to snap a five-match losing streak. The Warriors improve to 5-9 overall and 4-1 in the Northeast-10 Conference with the win. The Ravens slide to 1-6 on the year and 1-5 in league matches.
"Today's match was a great way for us to resume play in the conference," said head coach Sean Tully. "Our doubles teams battled hard and all six singles did extremely well. We will look to maintain our level of play with another league match tomorrow."
Merrimack claimed a pair of victories in doubles action to start singles play with a 2-1 lead. Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) and Kara Hole (Portsmouth, RI) were edged 9-7 at the top slot. Courtney Garvey (Woburn, MA) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, NH) secured an 8-4 victory at the No. 2 position. Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, MA) and Katie Veasey (Atkinson, NH) cruised to an 8-1 win at the third doubles spot.
The Warriors swept the five singles matches contested to seal the victory.
Messina rolled to a 6-1, 6-2 win at the No. 1 position. Hole claimed all 12 games en route to a 6-0, 6-0 victory at the second slot. Garvey prevailed 6-2, 6-0 at the No. 3 singles spot.
Barnes posted a pair of 6-1 decisions at the No. 4 position. Fitzgerald closed out the match with an 8-1 win at the fifth slot. The sixth singles match went unfinished due to rain.
Merrimack will square off against New Haven March 29 at the Bellevue Country Club in Melrose, MA.
1. Krolikowski/McCarthy (FPU) def. Hole/Messina (MER) 9-7
2. Barnes/Garvey (MER) def. Cohen/Chalifoux (FPU) 8-4
3. Fitzgerald/Veasey (MER) def. Rodgers/Bonetti (FPU) 8-1
1. Messina (MER) def. McCarthy (FPU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Hole (MER) def. Krolikowski (FPU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Garvey (MER) def. Cohen (FPU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Barnes (MER) def. Chalifoux (FPU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Fitzgerald (MER) def. Bonetti (FPU) 8-1
6. McMahon (MER) vs. Rodgers (FPU) DNF