Women’s Tennis Swept at Bethune-Cookman, 9-0
DAYTONA BEACH, FL - The Merrimack women's tennis team dropped a 9-0 decision to Division I foe Bethune-Cookman Thursday afternoon. The Warriors sink to 4-8 on the year while the Wildcats improve to 15-5 overall.
"We played hard today against a very good Division I team," said head coach Sean Tully. "Playing against teams of this caliber will benefit us in the future as when we restart the conference schedule."
Bethune-Cookman claimed all three doubles matches to hold a 3-0 lead in the match. Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, MA) and Katie Veasey (Atkinson, NH) endured an 8-4 loss at the No. 3 position. The Wildcats picked up 8-0 victories at the top two doubles slots.
The hosts triumphed in all six singles matches to seal the non-conference win.
Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) fell 6-4, 6-1 at the top singles slot. Fitzgerald suffered a 7-5, 7-5 loss at the No. 4 singles spot.
The Warriors will resume play in the Northeast-10 March 28 with a road match at Franklin Pierce.
1. Szaboova/Rabakidze (BCU) def. Messina/Hole (MER) 8-0
2. Speller/Peterson-Paul (BCU) def. Barnes/Garvey (MER) 8-0
3. Rodriguez/Gonzales (BCU) def. Fitzgerald/Veasey (MER) 8-4
1. Szaboova (BCU) def. Messina (MER) 6-4, 6-1
2. Speller (BCU) def. Hole (MER) 6-0, 6-0
3. Peterson-Paul (BCU) def. Barnes (MER) 6-0, 6-4
4. Chinchilla (BCU) def. Fitzgerald (MER) 7-5, 7-5
5. Rabakidze (BCU) def. McMahon (MER) 6-1, 6-4
6. Gonzales (BCU) def. Veasey (MER) 6-2, 6-0