ORLANDO, FL - The Merrimack women's tennis team suffered a 6-3 setback to Hamilton Wednesday afternoon. The Warriors drop to 4-7 on the year while the Continentals improve to 5-3 overall.
"We played hard today and pulled out some hard fought matches," said head coach Sean Tully. "We will look to bounce back tomorrow. This match will benefit us in the future as when we restart the conference schedule."
Hamilton claimed a pair of doubles victories to sport a 2-1 lead at the start of the singles portion of the match. Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, MA) and Kara Hole (Portsmouth, RI) logged Merrimack's lone doubles win on the day. The duo picked up an 8-6 victory at the No. 3 position.
The Continentals triumphed in four singles matches to seal the non-conference win.
Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) cruised to a 6-1, 6-0 win at the top singles slot. Courtney Garvey (Woburn, MA) secured the Warriors' only other singles victory, a 7-5, 6-3 decision at the third spot.
The Warriors will close out play in the Sunshine State with a match at Bethune-Cookman March 22.
1. Arenson/Lee (HAM) def. Messina/Veasey (MER) 8-2
2. Uhlein/Khanna (HAM) def. Barnes/Garvey (MER) 8-5
3. Fitzgerald/Hole (MER) def. Shaughnessy/Detwhiler (HAM) 8-6
1. Messina (MER) def. Uhlein (HAM) 6-1, 6-0
2. Arenson (HAM) def. Hole (MER) 6-4, 6-1
3. Garvey (MER) def. Khanna (HAM) 7-5, 6-3
4. Shaughnessy (HAM) def. Barnes (MER) 6-2, 6-0
5. Shea (HAM) def. Fitzgerald (MER) 7-5, 6-2
6. Friedman (HAM) def. McMahon (MER) 6-0, 6-1