Women’s Tennis Drops Non-League Match to Colby, 6-3
ORLANDO, FL- The Merrimack women's tennis team suffered a 6-3 non-conference loss to Colby Tuesday afternoon. The Warriors fall to 4-6 on the season while the Mules improve to 4-3 overall.
"We battled hard today against a good team. I was proud of the way we competed in three-setters," said head coach Sean Tully.
Colby claimed a pair of wins to hold a 2-1 advantage entering singles action. Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, MA) and Katie Veasey (Atkinson, NH) picked up an 8-2 victory at the No. 3 doubles spot. Courtney Garvey (Woburn, MA) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, NH) endured a narrow 9-8 loss after dropping the tiebreaker 7-3 at the second position.
At the top singles spot, Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) prevailed in a three-set thriller. Messina bounced back from dropping the first set 5-7 to claim the following two frames 6-1, 6-0.
Fitzgerald secured Merrimack's only other singles win on the day. The junior fell 6-1 in the first set and rebounded to take the second-set tiebreaker 7-3. Fitzgerald triumphed 10-2 in a third-set super-tiebreaker to record the Warriors third point of the match.
Merrimack returns to the courts March 21 against Hamilton in Orlando, FL.
1. Vergeyle/Wiener (COL) def. Messina/Hole (MER) 8-0
2. Perese/Holmes (COL) def. Garvey/Barnes (MER) 9-8 (3)
3. Fitzgerald/Veasey (MER) def. Love/Abel (COL) 8-2
1. Messina (MER) def. Wiener (COL) 5-7, 6-1, 6-0
2. Perese (COL) def. Hole (MER) 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (2)
3. Vergeyle (COL) def. Garvey (MER) 6-4, 6-2
4. Holmes (COL) def. Barnes (MER) 6-1, 6-2
5. Fitzgerald (MER) def. Abel (COL) 1-6, 7-6 (3), 10-2
6. Love (COL) def. McMahon (MER) 6-1, 6-2