Women’s Tennis Falls to Chestnut Hill in Home-Opener, 7-2
NORTH ANDOVER, MA- In the first home event of the 2011-12 season, the Merrimack women's tennis team suffered a 7-2 loss to Chestnut Hill Sunday at North Andover High School. The Warriors drop to 4-5 on the year while the Griffins rise to 17-4 overall.
The visitors swept the three doubles matches to hold a 3-0 edge at the start of singles action. Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) and Kara Hole (Portsmouth, RI) endured an 8-2 loss at the top doubles spot. Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, NH) and Courtney Garvey (Woburn, MA) fell 8-4 at the No. 2 position. Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, MA) and Katie Veasey (Atkinson, NH) dropped an 8-6 decision at the third doubles slot.
Erin McMahon (Wilmington, MA) and Fitzgerald captured Merrimack's two victories in singles play in the match. Fitzgerald cruised to an 8-1 win at the No. 5 singles position while McMahon prevailed 8-2 at the sixth spot.
Messina was edged 6-3, 7-5 at the No. 1 slot and Garvey suffered a 6-4, 6-1 loss at the third position.
"We battled hard today against a very good team but came up a little short," said head coach Sean Tully. "We will look to bounce back this week against a few quality opponents in Florida."
The Warriors will open up play in the Sunshine State March 20 with a non-league tilt against Colby.
1. Shcherbakova/Dennis (CHC) def. Messina/Hole (MER) 8-2
2. Parapouras/Oechsle (CHC) def. Garvey/Barnes (MER) 8-4
3. Knott/Puhl (CHC) def. Fitzgerald/Veasey (MER) 8-6
1. Shcherbakova (CHC) def. Messina (MER) 6-3, 7-5
2. Dennis (CHC) def. Hole (MER) 6-0, 6-1
3. Parapouras (CHC) def. Garvey (MER) 6-4, 6-1
4. Oechsle (CHC) def. Barnes (MER) 6-0, 6-1
5. Fitzgerald (MER) def. Knott (CHC) 8-1
6. McMahon (MER) def. Puhl (CHC) 8-2