MANCHESTER, NH - The Merrimack women's tennis team glided past Saint Anselm 8-1 Sunday afternoon. The Warriors rise to 4-4 on the season and 3-1 in the Northeast-10 Conference with the win. The Hawks drop to 2-1 overall and in league matches with the loss.
Merrimack captured a pair of doubles win to hold onto a 2-1 edge at the start of singles action.
Courtney Garvey (Woburn, MA) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, NH) partnered up to top Saint Anselm's Amanda Brahm and Rachel Pedro 8-2 at the No. 2 position. The Warriors' top doubles tandem of Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) and Kara Hole (Portsmouth, RI) earned an 8-5 victory over the Hawks' top pair.
Messina edged out the hosts' Alexandra Lawrence 7-3 in a first-set tiebreaker before securing a 6-1 win in the second set at the No. 1 position. At the second spot, Hole and Brahm traded 6-2 decisions with the Merrimack sophomore prevailing in the third set. Garvey rolled at the No. 3 slot, posting consecutive 6-1 wins over Katherine Morrissey.
After claiming the first set 6-2, Barnes bounced back from dropping the second 6-1 to capture the fourth singles match with a 10-7 victory in a third-set super-tiebreaker. Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, MA) and Erin McMahon (Wilmington, MA) triumphed in eight-game pro-sets at the fifth and sixth singles slots, respectively, to seal the singles sweep.
"I was pleased with the way we competed this afternoon to get a conference win. Today was an important match for us and we will look to keep things going next weekend," said head coach Sean Tully.
The Warriors return to the courts as they host Chestnut Hill March 18 in the first home match of the campaign.
1. Messina/Hole (MER) def. Lawrence/Morrissey (STA) 8-5
2. Garvey/Barnes (MER) def. Brahm/Pedro (STA) 8-2
3. Martin/Woods (STA) def. Fitzgerald/Veasey (MER) 8-1
1. Messina (MER) def. Lawrence (STA) 7-6 (3), 6-1
2. Hole (MER) def. Brahm (STA) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
3. Garvey (MER) def. Morrissey (STA) 6-1, 6-1
4. Barnes (MER) def. Pedro (STA) 6-2, 1-6, 10-7
5. Fitzgerald (MER) def. Regan (STA) 8-2
6. McMahon (MER) def. Woods (STA) 8-5