Women’s Tennis Drops Spring Opener at Saint Michael’s, 7-2
COLCHESTER, VT- The Merrimack women's tennis team suffered a 7-2 loss at Saint Michael's Saturday afternoon to kick off the spring season. The Warriors move to 3-3 overall and 2-1 in the Northeast-10 Conference with the loss. The Purple Knights improve to 7-1 on the year and a league-best 7-0 in conference matches.
The hosts claimed an early 3-0 lead with a sweep in the doubles portion of the match. Courtney Garvey (Woburn, MA) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, NH) fell 8-5 at the No. 2 spot while Kara Hole (Portsmouth, RI) and Erin McMahon (Wilmington, MA) dropped an 8-4 decision at the third slot.
In singles action, Shakee Messina (Caracas, Venezuela) recorded Merrimack's first victory of the day with a 6-2, 6-2 win at the top position. Hole triumphed at the No. 2 position 6-2, 6-3 over Caroline Martin.
"It was good to see our team bounce back and compete hard in singles play against a very good team," said head coach Sean Tully.
The Warriors will return to the courts March 11 for a Northeast-10 match at Saint Anselm.
1. Magee/Dalton (STM) def. Messina/Fitzgerald (MER) 8-0
2. Martin/McGrath (STM) def. Garvey/Barnes (MER) 8-5
3. Ogilvy/Toutoungi (STM) def. Hole/McMahon (MER) 8-4
1. Messina (MER) def. Magee (STM) 6-2, 6-2
2. Hole (MER) def. Martin (STM) 6-2, 6-3
3. Dalton (STM) def. Garvey (MER) 6-1, 6-0
4. Benoit (STM) def. Barnes (MER) 6-1, 6-1
5. Ogilvy (STM) def. Fitzgerald (MER) 8-2
6. McGrath (STM) def. McMahon (MER) 8-4