NORTH ANDOVER, Mass.- The Merrimack women's tennis team dropped a 5-4 decision to Bentley Saturday. The Warriors fall to 8-9 on the year and 8-5 in the Northeast-10 Conference. The Falcons rise to 9-10 overall and 9-4 in the league.
Merrimack grabbed a pair of victories in doubles action to own a 2-1 edge heading into singles play. Courtney Garvey (Woburn, Mass.) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, N.H.) muscled out an 8-2 win at the No. 1 position. Kara Hole (Portsmouth, R.I.) and Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, Mass.) rolled to an 8-2 victory at the second doubles slot. Erin McMahon (Wilmington, Mass.) and Katie Veasey (Atkinson, N.H.) suffered an 8-3 loss at the third spot.
At the top singles position, Hole rebounded from dropping the first set 6-3 to take the second and third sets 6-2, 6-2. Fitzgerald earned the Warriors only other singles win, prevailing 7-5, 6-2 at the No. 4 slot. After surrendering the first set 6-3, Barnes claimed the second 7-6 to force a decisive third set. In the third frame, Barnes fell 6-2 at the No. 3 position.
With the loss, Merrimack will likely earn the sixth seed in the Northeast-10 Conference playoffs and will likely travel to take on Adelphi in the first round April 19.
1. Garvey/Barnes (MC) def. Litton/Sotomayor (BEN) 8-2
2. Fitzgerald/Hole (MC) def. Murphy/Tetu (BEN) 8-2
3. Martin/Harbert (BEN) def. McMahon/Veasey (MC) 8-3
1. Hole (MC) def. Sotomayor (BEN) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Murphy (BEN) def. Garvey (MC) 6-0, 6-3
3. Litton (BEN) def. Barnes (MC) 6-3, 6-7, 6-2
4. Fitzgerald (MC) def. Martin (BEN) 7-5, 6-2
5. Harbert (BEN) def. Waddington (MC) 7-5, 6-0
6. Van Gilst (BEN) def. McMahon (MC) 6-3, 6-2