NORTH ANDOVER, Mass.- The Merrimack women's tennis team earned a 9-0 victory over Franklin Pierce Sunday afternoon. With the win, the Warriors raise their overall record to 8-7 with an 8-3 mark in the Northeast-10. The Ravens dive to 1-10 on the season and in the league.
Merrimack posted three doubles wins to claim a 3-0 lead at the start of singles play. Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, N.H.) and Courtney Garvey (Woburn, Mass.) teamed up to earn an 8-4 victory at the top spot. Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, Mass.) and Kara Hole (Portsmouth, R.I.) partnered to prevail 8-3 at the No. 2 position. Katie Veasey (Atkinson, N.H.) and Erin McMahon (Wilmington, Mass.) cruised to an 8-1 win at the third match.
Six singles victories lifted the Warriors to the 9-0 win. Hole secured a 6-3, 6-4 victory at the No. 1 singles match. Garvey triumphed 7-5, 6-1 at the second slot while Barnes picked up a 6-2, 6-1 win at the third position.
Fitzgerald doubled up Franklin Pierce's Drew Alexander 8-4 at the No. 4 singles match. Kylie Waddington (South Glastonbury, Conn.) and McMahon both captured convincing wins at the fifth and sixth singles slots, respectively.
Merrimack pays a visit to Stonehill April 12 to continue conference action.
1. Barnes/Garvey (MER) def. Krolikowski/McCrathy (FPU) 8-4
2. Fitzgerald/Hole (MER) def. Alexander/Smilovich (FPU) 8-3
3. Veasey/McMahon (MER) def. Chalifoux/Carpenter (FPU) 8-1
1. Hole (MER) def. Krolikowski (FPU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Garvey (MER) def. McCarthy (FPU) 7-5, 6-1
3. Barnes (MER) def. Smilovich (FPU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Fitzgerald (MER) def. Alexander (FPU) 8-4
5. Waddington (MER) def. Chelifoux (FPU) 8-1
6. McMahon (MER) def. Bonelli (FPU) 8-0