Women’s Tennis Handed 8-1 Loss by Saint Michael’s
DURHAM, N.H.- The Merrimack women's tennis team had its five-match conference winning-streak snapped Thursday with an 8-1 loss to Saint Michael's at the University of New Hampshire. The Warriors dip to 7-7 overall and 7-3 in the Northeast-10 Conference. The Purple Knights improved to 10-2 on the year and 9-1 in the league.
Saint Michael's cruised to three doubles' victories to own a 3-0 lead at the start of singles action. Kara Hole (Portsmouth, R.I.) and Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, Mass.) fell 8-3 at the top doubles position. At the No. 2 spot, Kylie Waddington (South Glastonbury, Conn.) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, N.H.) dropped an 8-3 decision.
Hole claimed Merrimack's lone point with a 7-5, 6-1 victory at the No. 1 singles match. Fitzgerald suffered a 6-1, 6-1 loss at the No. 3 slot and Katie Veasey (Atkinson, N.H.) fell 6-4, 6-1 at the sixth singles spot.
Merrimack looks to get back to its winning ways as it hosts Franklin Pierce Sunday, April 10.
1. Deahna Giguere/Emily Magee (SMC) def. Kara Hole/Mollie Fitzgerald (MER) - 8-3
2. Marran Ranks/Marybeth Ash (SMC) def. Kylie Waddington/Alyx Barnes (MER) - 8-3
3. Jean-Marie McGrath/Emily Ogilvy (SMC) def. Erin McMahon/Katie Veasey (MER) - 8-0
1. Hole (MER) def. Giguere (SMC) - 7-5, 6-1
2. Ranks (SMC) def. Barnes (MER) - 6-3, 6-0
3. Magee (SMC) def. Fitzgerald (MER) - 6-1, 6-1
4. McGrath (SMC) def. Waddington (MER) - 6-0, 6-0
5. Alex Dalton (SMC) def. McMahon (MER) - 6-0, 6-3
6. Ogilvy (SMC) def. Veasey (MER) - 6-4, 6-1