ALBANY, N.Y.- The Merrimack women's tennis team earned its fifth-consecutive Northeast-10 Conference victory Sunday with a 7-2 win over Saint Rose. The Warriors improved to 7-6 overall and 7-2 in the league. The Golden Knights sink to 5-6 on the year and in the conference.
Merrimack captured three victories in doubles play to hold a 3-0 advantage heading into singles action. Kara Hole (Portsmouth, R.I.) and Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, Mass.) picked up an 8-3 win at the No. 2 position. The tandem of Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, N.H.) and Courtney Garvey (Woburn, Mass.) eked out an 8-6 victory at the top pairs slot. Erin McMahon (Wilmington, Mass.) and Katie Veasey (Atkinson, N.H.) prevailed 9-8 after taking the tiebreaker 9-7 at the third spot.
At the top singles position, Hole fell 6-4, 6-1 to Saint Rose's Jennifer Crego. Garvey took the first set at the No. 2 spot 6-3 then suffered a 6-3 loss in the second and bowed 10-6 in the third-set super-tiebreaker.
Barnes rolled to a 6-0, 6-1 win at the third singles match. Fitzgerald and Kylie Waddington (South Glastonbury, Conn.) posted identical results. The fourth and fifth singles players earned a 6-3, 6-2 win each. McMahon rounded out the victories with a 6-2 6-0 triumph at the No. 6 slot.
Merrimack looks to extend its conference winning-streak as it hosts Saint Michael's Tuesday, April 5.
1. Crego (STR) def. Hole (MER) 6-4, 6-1
2. Leighton (STR) def. Garvey (MER) 3-6, 6-3, 10-6
3. Barnes (MER) def. Reeg (STR) 6-0, 6-1
4. Fitzgerald (MER) def. Schacher (STR) 6-3, 6-2
5. Waddington (MER) def. Wilhelm (STR) 6-3, 6-2
6. McMahon (MER) def. Biancci (STR) 6-2, 6-0
1. Barnes/Garvey (MER) def. Leighton/Reeg (STR) 8-6
2. Hole/Fitzgerald (MER) def. Crego/Schacher (STR) 8-3
3. McMahon/Veasey (MER) def. Belz/Wilhelm (STR) 9-8 (9-7)