Women’s Tennis Handed 9-0 Loss by Hope College
ORLANDO, Fla.- The Merrimack women's tennis team fell 9-0 Wednesday to Hope College. The Warriors' overall record sinks to 4-5 with the loss.
The Flying Dutch swept the three doubles matches to own a 3-0 lead at the beginning of singles play. At the No. 1 doubles slot, Courtney Garvey (Woburn, Mass.) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, N.H.) were edged 8-6 by Hope's Katherine Garcia and Leah LaBarge.
Barnes suffered a three-set loss at the second singles position. The freshman rebounded from dropping the first set 6-3 to take the second 6-4. In the third-set super tiebreaker, Barnes bowed 10-2.
Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, Mass.) and Casey Baxter were even at 6-6 at the end of the first set, forcing a tiebreaker. Baxter claimed the tiebreaker to earn the first set 7-6. Fitzgerald lost the second frame 6-1 to Baxter.
Merrimack closes out play in Florida against Otterbein March 24 before returning to North Andover to resume Northeast-10 action against American International March 31.
1) Katherine Garcia (Hope) def. Kara Hole (MC) 6-3, 6-0
2) Leah LaBarge (Hope) def. Alyx Barnes (MC) 6-3, 4-6, (10-2)
3) Casey Baxter (Hope) def. Mollie Fitzgerald (MC) 7-6, 6-1
4) Shelby Schulz (Hope) def. Kylie Waddington (MC) 6-1, 6-2
5) Melissa Bieri (Hope) def. Erin McMahon (MC) 6-1, 6-1
6) Mallory Smith (Hope) def. Heather Kent (MC) 6-0, 6-0
1) Garcia/LaBarge (Hope) def. Garvey/Barnes (MC) 8-6
2) Schulz/Andrea Pickelman (Hope) def. Hole/Fitzgerald (MC) 8-0
3) Baxter/Smith (Hope) def. McMahon/Veasey (MC) 8-0.