RYE, N.H.- The Merrimack women's tennis team captured its first victory of the spring with a 7-2 win over Saint Anselm Sunday at the Wentworth by the Sea Country Club. The Warriors improved to 3-2 overall and in Northeast-10 action with the win. The Hawks sink to 0-2 on the year and in the league.
Merrimack claimed two of the three doubles matches on the day. Courtney Garvey (Woburn, Mass.) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, N.H.) picked up an 8-4 victory at the top slot. Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, Mass.) and Kara Hole (Portsmouth, R.I.) claimed an 8-5 win in the second doubles position to ensure the Warriors' lead heading into singles play.
After a tight 6-4 victory in the first set, Barnes breezed through the second set 6-0 to take the No. 3 singles match. Fitzgerald picked up a 6-1, 6-4 victory at the fourth singles slot. Erin McMahon (Wilmington, Mass.) rolled past Saint Anselm's Lauren DeGuglielmo 8-2 at the No. 6 spot.
Garvey and Kylie Waddington (South Glastonbury, Conn.) each battled back to earn a three-set win. Garvey dropped the first set 6-3 but muscled out two tiebreakers in the final two sets after splitting the 12 games. Waddington fell in a close first set 8-6 in a tiebreaker following a 6-6 tie. The junior nearly faced a second tiebreaker in as many sets with the score 6-5 in her favor. Waddington grabbed the game to earn a 7-5 victory in the second set to force a super-tiebreaker to decide the match. She surrendered just one point in the deciding set, prevailing 10-1.
"The women displayed a great team effort today. Our singles lineup dug in and fought hard," said head coach Chris Stevens.
Up next, Merrimack will take on Pace March 19 at the Wentworth by the Sea Country Club.
1. Courtney Garvey/Alyx Barnes (MC) def. Erika Sartor/Lauren DeGuglielmo (STA) 8-4
2. Mollie Fitzgerald/Kara Hole (MC) def. Katie Morrissey/Amanda Brahm (STA) 8-5
3. Alyssa Marciniak/Vanessa Centofanti (STA) def. Erin McMahon/Katie Veasey (MC) 8-6
1. Sartor (STA) def. Hole (MC) 6-3, 6-2
2. Garvey (MC) def. Alexandra Lawrence (STA) 3-6, 7-6 (4), 7-6 (3)
3. Barnes (MC) def. Brahm (STA) 6-4, 6-0
4. Fitzgerald (MC) def. Morrissey (STA) 6-1, 6-4
5. Waddington (MC) def. Marciniak (STA) 6-7(6), 7-5, 10-1
6. McMahon (MC) def. DeGuglielmo (STA) 8-2