Womens Tennis Rolls Past New Haven, 8-1
NEW HAVEN, Conn.- The Merrimack women's tennis team picked up its first win of the 2010-11 season, downing New Haven 8-1. The Warriors are now 1-1 on the season and in the Northeast-10 Conference.
Merrimack swept all three doubles points in the match. Kylie Waddington (South Glastonbury, Conn.) and Katie Vesey (Atkinson, N.H.) teamed up to win 8-2 at the No. 3 doubles slot. Kara Hole (Portsmouth, R.I.) and Mollie Fitzgerald (Melrose, Mass.) posted an 8-6 victory at the No. 2 position. Courtney Garvey (Woburn, Mass.) and Alyx Barnes (Portsmouth, N.H.) completed the sweep with an 8-4 win at the top doubles spot.
Siobhan Licudine (Mansfield, Mass.) cruised past the Chargers' Amanda Foley at the No. 6 singles position, 6-0, 6-0. Waddington picked up a 6-1, 6-1 victory at the fifth singles slot. Fitzgerald claimed a 6-1, 6-2 win at the No. 4 position.
Barnes dropped one game en route to a 6-1, 6-0 win at the third singles spot. Garvey prevailed 6-2, 6-4 over New Haven's Gabby Fuentes at the second singles position, 6-2, 6-4.
At the top singles slot, Hole clinched the first set in a tiebreaker, 7-5, but the Chargers' Lauren Lyons prevented a Merrimack nine-match sweep by taking the final two sets, 6-3, 10-4.
The Warriors take to the courts October 10 as they host Assumption in their final Northeast-10 match of the fall.
1. Lauren Lyons (UNH) def. Kara Hole (MER) 6-7 (7-5), 6-3, 10-4
2. Courtney Garvey (MER) def. Gabby Fuentes (UNH) 6-2, 6-4
3. Alyx Barnes (MER) def. Daniella Roman (UNH) 6-1, 6-0
4. Mollie Fitzgerald (MER) def. Christina Oiler (UNH) 6-1, 6-2
5. Kylie Waddington (MER) def. Catherine Celotto (UNH) 6-1, 6-1
6. Siobhan Licudine (MER) def. Amanda Foley (UNH) 6-0, 6-0
1. Garvey/Barnes (MER) def. Lyons/Fuentes (UNH) 8-4
2. Hole/Fitzgerald (MER) def. Roman/Oiler (UNH) 8-6
3. Waddington/Veasey (MER) def. Celotto/Foley (UNH) 8-2