JACKIE SULLIVAN AND MERRIMACK'S NINE-MEMBER SENIOR CLASS WILL BE HONORED SATURDAY AFTERNOON
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Playing in its final home game of the regular season, the Merrimack College women's soccer team will seek its tenth straight win when it welcomes Assumption College for a Northeast-10 Conference showdown on Saturday afternoon at Martone-Mejail Field. Prior to the game, head coach Gabe Mejail and the Athletic Department will honor the team's nine seniors as part of Senior Day.
Date/Time: Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013 | 1 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (9-5-2, 7-4-2) | Assumption (7-3-5, 5-3-5)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field
Last Time Out
Senior Danielle Dion (North Grosvenordale, Conn.) scored her fourth goal of the season after taking a shot from 12 yards out to find the upper left corner of the net. Freshman Julia Heffernan (Westborough, Mass.) was credited her seventh assist on Dion's goal.
Freshman Olivia Downey (Melrose, Mass.) buried her first career goal in the 75th minute of play to extend the Warriors lead to 2-0. Downey was able to sneak the ball passed the keeper after Dion's shot attempt was rebounded off a save from Falcon keeper Christiana Hynds.
The Navy and Gold managed to shut down the Falcons' offense and keep the defense on their toes taking 11 shots in the second half. Senior Nicole Curtis (Billerica, Mass.) tallied four saves on the night, while posting her fifth clean sheet of the season.
The Class of 2014:
Prior to first whistle tonight, the Merrimack College Athletics Department will honor the women's soccer nine-member senior class: Sami Brady (Rockland, Mass.), Nicole Curtis, Marissa DePaolo (Milford, Mass.), Danielle Dion, Michelle Laramee (Shrewsbury, Mass.), Jordan Schnopp (Dalton, Mass.), Jackie Sullivan (North Andover, Mass.), Sarah Wooley (Duxbury, Mass.), and Jenna Zechner (Billerica, Mass.).
This senior class enters today's game with a career 48-22-8 record, good for a winning percentage of .667 over a span of 78 games since the beginning of the 2010 season. During their tenure, these seniors have helped the program advance to the Northeast-10 Conference Tournament for the 29th time and have a winning record for the 30th consecutive year, which is a NCAA Division II record.
Last Season against the Assumption
- Greyhound Erin Kinback scored the game's only goal for Assumption in the fourth minute of the match.
- Assumption owned a 16-7 lead in shot attempts in the game as well as a 6-3 edge in corner kicks.
- Both sides combined for 23 fouls with no cards recorded over the course of the match.
- Zechner led the Warriors with a side-high four shot attempts – with three on target – while Caitlin Sewall registered four shots for the Greyhounds.
- Curtis finished with 10 saves in a losing effort, while Allison Bruder finished with five stops and benefitted from a team save for the home side.
top eight qualify for postseason
1. Saint Rose (11-0-2)
2. American Int'l (10-1-2)
3. Adelphi (8-1-4)
T4. New Haven (7-4-2)
T4. Merrimack (7-4-2)
6. Assumption (5-3-5)
T7. Franklin Pierce (6-5-2)
T7. Saint Anselm (6-5-2)
9. So. Connecticut (5-7-2)
10. Stonehill (5-7-1)
11. So. New Hampshire (4-6-3)
12. Pace (4-8-1)
13. Le Moyne (3-8-2)
14. Bentley (1-10-2)
15. Saint Michael's (0-13)
- Sophomore Jenna Savi (Dedham, Mass.) currently leads the team with seven goals and 16 points, while freshman Alana Vecchiarello (Peabody, Mass.) is second on the team with five goals.
- Sullivan ranks fourth in the NE-10 with seven assists.
- As a team, Merrimack is third in the NE-10 with 32 goals scored, while Assumption sits in seventh.
- The Warriors have posted five shutouts this season, which ties last season's shutout record.
- Clinched a Northeast-10 Conference playoff spot with a 3-0 win over Southern Connecticut State University
- Senior Ashley Bates leads the team with seven goals and 15 points on the season.
- Senior goalkeeper Rachel Edgin has averaged an .833 save percentage, while tallying 90 saves on the season.
- The Greyhounds hold a slim 21-18 edge in goals against their opponents.