Women’s Lacrosse Travels to AIC Tuesday, Hosts Mercy Wednesday
WARRIORS FACE YELLOY JACKETS IN NE-10 ROAD CLASH BEFORE RETURNING HOME TO CHALLENGE MAVERICKS
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College women's lacrosse team returns to action this week with a Northeast-10 Conference battle against American International on Tuesday before returning to Martone-Mejail Field to play host to Mercy College Wednesday afternoon.
Date/Time: Tuesday, Apr. 8, 2014 | 7 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (2-8, 1-6 NE-10) | American International (3-8, 0-7 NE-10)
Location: Ronald J. Abdow Field | Springfield, Mass.
Date/Time: Wednesday, Apr. 9, 2014 | 4 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (2-8) | Mercy (5-7)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
Last Time Out
Last Wednesday, the Warriors fell to Saint Michael's College, 9-7, in Northeast-10 Conference action at Duffy Field in Colchester, Vt.
With the game tied (2-2), Merrimack found themselves down by two (4-2) after back-top-back goals from the Purple Knights. Freshman Megan Fero (East Manlius, N.Y.) picked up her eighth goal of the season and brought the Warriors to within one (4-3) with 9:50 remaining. After numerous opportunities, Merrimack was unable to score and remained trailing by one heading into halftime.
In the opening minutes of the second half, the Purple Knights went on a 3-1 scoring run to take a commanding 7-4 lead with 16:34 left to play. Merrimack was able to cut the deficit to two (7-5) but, Saint Michael's pushed its lead back up to three (8-5). Over the remainder of the game, Merrimak went on a 2-1 run but was unable to pick up the win.
- The Warriors lead the conference averaging 16.7 shots per game while scoring 6.60 goals per game.
- As a team, Merrimack is 16-of-43 on free position shots and 102-of-147 in clear attempts.
- Sophomore Aubrie Stouffer (Souderton, Pa.) leads the team in points (11g and 10a).
- Junior Olivia Coakley (Bridgewater, Mass.) ranks first on the team with 22 ground balls.
- Senior Inna Hedden (Woodbine, Md.) leads the conference in saves with 102 while posting a 45.9 save percentage.
Last Season Against Yellow Jackets:
- Merrimack defeated AIC at home 13-4.
- Tyler Szymanski scored a game-high five goals with one assist to lead Merrimack, while classmate Olivia Huie chipped in with two goals and two assists.
- Goalkeeper Sam Kiesel registered 14 saves to earn the win in net.
- The Warriors outshot the Yellow Jackets 35-22 and had a 38-23 advantage in ground balls.
- AIC won 10 of 19 draw controls.
Scouting the AIC Yellow Jackets:
- Goalkeeper L. Doherty ranks fourth in the league with 89 saves and has a 14.24 goals-against average.
- The Yellow Jackets rank second in turnovers with 194.
- Offensively, AIC is 13-of-45 on free position goals and has a 28.9 free position average.
- Junior Whitney McKay leads the Yellow Jackets with 32 points (22g and 10a).
Scouting the Mercy College Mavericks:
- In the ECC, the Mavericks lead the division with 237 turnovers.
- Mercy averaged 8.92 goals per game while posting a 41.5 shooting percentage.
- Senior Kelsey Bub leads the team with 31 points including 23 goals, eight assits, 14 ground balls and 34 draw controls.
- Both Mercy goalkeepers record a 11.66 goals-against average and a 36.8 save percentage.