Women’s Lacrosse Opens Northeast-10 Play Against Assumption College
WARRIORS HOST GREYHOUNDS IN NE-10 OPENER ON WEDNESDAY AT MARTONE-MEJAIL FIELD
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Looking to snap a two-game losing streak, the Merrimack College women's lacrosse team returns to Martone-Mejail Field to host Assumption College in a Northeast-10 Conference showdown. Opening draw is slated for 3 p.m.
Date/Time: Wednesday, Mar. 12, 2014 | 3 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (1-2, 0-0 NE-10) | Assumption (2-0, 0-0 NE-10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field| North Andover, Mass.
Last Time Out
The Warriors opened the first half on a 3-0 scoring run until Shippensburg's attacker Courtney Kennedy ended the run by the Warriors off a free position goal with 11:43 remaining. Sheila Johnson brought the Raiders to within one (3-2) as she beat senior Inna Hedden (Woodbine, Md.) with a quick shot. Merrimack took a 3-2 lead into halftime.
Just 45 seconds into the second half, the Raiders tied the Warriors, 3-3, before going on a 3-0 scoring run to take a 6-3 lead with 23:26 to play. Minutes later, sophomore Danielle Riley (West Point, N.Y.) and junior Giulia Palombo (Sandwich, Mass.) found the back of the net for the Warriors to bring the score to 6-5.
Shippensburg closed out the final 15 minutes of the game on a 3-1 run to defeat the Warriors by the score of 8-6. Sophomore Michela Salvucci (Newton, Mass.) and Riley led the Warriors offensively as both players finished with two points each. Salvucci recorded a career-high two goals while Riley posted one goal and an assist.
For the full recap from Sunday, please click here!
Last Season Against Greyhounds
- The Warriors trailed 11-4 heading into halftime but outscored the Greyhounds 7-5 in the second half in the 16-11 loss.
- The Warriors had four players score at least two goals including Olivia Huie (Norwell, Mass.) who led the way with three goals and one assist.
- For the game, Merrimack held the 45-27 advantage in shots and were nearly perfect on clearing attempts going 14-for-15 including a perfect 7-for-7 in the second half.
- Hedden made three saves in the losing effort before giving way to senior Sam Kiesel (Lakeville, Mass.) who finished off her game with four saves in the second half.
- Hedden continues to lead the NE-10 in saves with 34 while posting 11.75 goals-against average.
- The Warriors average 8.33 goals per game, while posting a 38.5 percent shooting percentage.
- Merrimack is 33-for-44 on clearing attempts and 3-for-16 on free position shots.
- Sophomore Aubrie Stouffer (Souderton, Mass.) leads the Navy and Gold with 11 points (5g and 6 a).
Scouting the Assumption Greyhounds:
- The Greyhounds are coming off an 11-6 road victory against Molloy on March 7.
- Senior attack Lindsay Hagerman leads the Greyhounds with 11 points (8g and 3 a).
- Freshman goalie Jaclyn Chirco has totaled nine saves in the last two games and has a 4.50 goals-against average.
- As a team, Assumption averaged 14.50 goals per game while shooting 51.8 percent.