Cross Country Kicks Off 2013 Slate at Shacklette Invitational Saturday
MERRIMACK MEN, WOMEN TURN TO EXPERIENCED AND PROMISING CAST AIMING FOR NEW HEIGHTS IN 2013
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College men's and women's cross country teams hit the track for the first time in 2013 on Saturday, as the Warriors make the short trip up to Saint Anselm College to compete in the Shacklette Invitational.
Date/Time: Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013 | 9 a.m.
Location: Saint Anselm College | Manchester, N.H.
Last Time Out
Both the Warrior men and the women are coming off successful 2012 campaigns that featured the emergence of several young stars that have laid the foundation for a promising 2013 season.
On either side last year, underclassmen ran well beyond their years, and that warranted plenty of admiration from head coach Chris Cameron, who returns for his 22nd season in 2013. The injury bug also proved to be prominent last fall, but despite those battles against the wear and tear of the sport, the Merrimack men still managed to place eighth in the Northeast-10 Conference Championships, while the women earned a tie for sixth place.
The Warrior Men:
- Return several young and promising stars, including sophomores Nick Christensen (Peabody, Mass.) and Aaron Maurais (Hopedale, Mass.); the former won the Rivier Invitational last fall, while the latter earned a pair of top-10 finishes
- Junior Sherif Ali (Cliffside Park, N.J.) highlights the upperclassmen core after finishing in the top-10 of three races last season, including a second-place finish at the Rivier Invitational
- The Warrior men placed second at the Shacklette Invitational last fall and also posted a victory in the Rivier College Invitational, coming out on top of an 11-team field
The Warrior Women:
- Sophomore Kerry Phelan (Peabody, Mass.), the 2012 NE-10 Female Rookie of the Year, is one of the top returnees from last year's team that finished tied for sixth at the NE-10 Championships
- Joining Phelan will be senior Brianna Devereaux (Londonderry, N.H.), juniors Kelsey Grimmer (Shelton, Conn.) and Amber Legacy (Bennington, Vt.) and sophomores Kristin Schmidt (Athens, N.Y.) and Caisie Wynot (Braintree, Mass.)
- Phelan ran well beyond her years last season, helping her relay team place fifth at the Skyhawk Relays before running to a third-place finish at the Rivier Invitational
- The rising sophomore then earned an all-conference nod at the NE-10s with a 15th-place finish at the league championships before placing 14th at the NCAA East Regionals to conclude the season