WARRIORS CHALLENGE PENMEN FOR THE THIRD TIME THIS SEASON IN DAY ONE OF NCAA EAST REGIONAL
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Returning to the court for the first time since falling in the Northeast-10 Championship last Saturday, the fifth-seeded Merrimack College men's tennis team takes on fourth-seeded Southern New Hampshire in the first round of the NCAA East Regional on Monday morning at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y.
Date/Time: Monday, May 5, 2014 | 9 a.m.
Date/Time: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 | 9 a.m. (if Merrimack wins on Monday)
Records: #5 Merrimack (13-8) | #4 Southern New Hampshire (18-5) | #1 Concordia (18-4)
Location: USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center | Flushing, N.Y.
East Regional Bracket
No 4. Southern New Hampshire vs. No. 5 Merrimack, 9 a.m.
No. 1 Concordia vs. winner of the No.4/No.5 match. 9 a.m.
The 2013-14 Season to Date
The Warriors finished the regular season with an overall record of 12-7 and captured their third NE-10 regular season crown along the way after going unbeaten against the conference over the course of hte year. After earning a first round bye in the Northeast-10 Championship, Merrimack defeated fourth-seeded Adelphi University, 5-1. In the Finals, the Warriors were edged in a match for the ages, dropping the title to Southern New Hampshire, 5-4, to narrowly avoid a three-peat.
This Season against Southern New Hampshire
Early this year, the Warriors defeated the Penmen, 7-2, in Manchester, N.H. Merrimack were able to pick up two of the three point in doubles action to grab an early 2-1 lead. In singles action, the Navy and Gold picked up five of the six points to secure the NE-10 conference victory.
Merrimack met the Penmen for a second time this season in the NE-10 Championship, but the Warriors fell 5-4 at Northeast Tennis Center just over a week ago. Down 4-2, the team rallied back to take No. 5 and No. 6 singles to tie the match at four, but the Warriors' rally came to end in the No. 4 singles as Vince Bellino (Amesbury, Mass.) was defeated in a third-set tiebreaker.
This Season against Concordia (N.Y.)
Back in February, the Warriors dropped an 8-1 decision to No. 6 Concordia (N.Y.) in Bronxville, N.Y. The Navy and Gold did not pick up a point in singles action but sophomore Matt Pronesti (Mission Viejo, Calif.) and senior Chris Barnhart (Longmeadow, Mass.) picked up Merrimack's lone double victory of the afternoon.
- As a team , the Warriors have gone 77-53 (.592) overall in singles and 43-24 (.642) overall in doubles.
- In the east region rankings, sophomore Miguel Belfort (Caracas, Venezuela) ranks No. 16 in singles action and has an overall mark of 13-8.
- C. Barnhart and Pronesti moved up in the rankings to fourth in the east region in doubles.
The SNHU Penmen:
- SNHU has earned a berth to the NCAA Division II Men's Tennis Championship for the fourth straight year.
- At 18-5 overall, the Penmen have established a single-season program record in wins.
- Mitch Dobek leads the team in No. 1 singles with an 18-5 duel mark as well as post a 17-5 dual mark in No. 1 doubles with partner Mike Wallace.
The Concordia (N.Y.) Clippers:
- Concordia finished the regular season with a 6-0 CACC record as all of their victories came 9-0 while posting an overall record of 18-4.
- The Clippers captured their their fifth straight CACC Championship.
- For the third straight year in a row, Daniele Piludu was named CACC Player of the Year as well as recorded a 12-4 record in No. 1 doubles with partner Benas Majauskas.