WARRIORS SLIP TO 8-7 OVERALL AND RESUME NE-10 PLAY TOMORROW AGAINST BENTLEY
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College men's tennis team suffered an 8-1 setback Saturday afternoon against No. 19 New York Institute of Technology at North Andover High. The Warriors slip to 8-7 overall while the Bears improve to 15-4.
Game: No. 19 NYIT 8, Merrimack 1
Records: Merrimack (8-7) | No. 19 NYIT (15-4)
Location: North Andover High | North Andover, Mass.
How it Happened
NYIT claimed all three doubles points to hold a 3-0 lead at the beginning of singles action.
Sophomore Miguel Belfort (Caracas, Venezuela) and junior Vince Bellino (Amesbury, Mass.) were defeated in the No. 2 double spot, 8-6. In the final doubles match, freshman Nick Majewski (Brewster, Mass.) and freshman James Barnhart (Longmeadow, Mass.) were defeated by a final score of 8-6.
J. Barnhart picked up Merrimack's lone point of the day with an 8-6 win at the No. 5 spot.
Sophomore Matt Pronesti (Mission Viejo, Calif.) absorbed a 6-3, 6-1 loss at the No. 1 position, while senior Chris Barnhart (Longmeadow, Mass.) suffered a 6-1, 7-5 setback against Nicolas Auruccio in the No. 3 spot.
1. Pulido,Julio/Selecky,Matej (NYITM) def. Pronesti/C. Barnhart (MER) 8-3
2. Auruccio,Nicolas/Salvador,Jamie (NYITM) def. Belfort/Bellino (MER) 8-6
3. Heintz,Nicolas/Jubera,Nico (NYITM) def. J. Barnhart/Majewski (MER) 8-6
1. Pulido,Julio (NYITM) def. Pronesti (MER) 6-3, 6-1
2. Charkiewicz,Rafal (NYITM) def. Belfort (MER) 6-4, 6-1
3. Auruccio,Nicolas (NYITM) def. C. Barnhart (MER) 6-1, 7-5
4. Salvador,Jamie (NYITM) def. Bellino (MER) 8-1
5. J. Barnhart (MER) def. Lieb,Tomas (NYITM) 8-6
6. Selecky,Matej (NYITM) def. Majewski (MER) 8-2
What They Said
"Today's match was a tough fought match against a very good team," said head coach Peter Arsenault. "We will look to gain upon today's match with just a few matches left.
The Warriors return to action tomorrow (April 5), when they travel to Waltham, Mass. to take on Bentley University in a Northeast-10 Conference clash. First serve is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.