Men’s Tennis Set for Home Showdown Against No.19 NYIT Saturday Afternoon
WARRIORS AIM TO SNAP BEARS THREE-GAME WINNING STREAK SATURDAY AT NORTH ANDOVER HIGH
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College men's tennis teams looks to upset No. 19 New York Institute of Technology Saturday afternoon at North Andover High School. First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Game: Saturday, April 5, 2014 | 2:00 pm
Records: Merrimack (8-6) | NYIT (14-4)
Location: North Andover High School | North Andover, Mass.
Last Time Out
Merrimack was able to pick up all three points in doubles action on Sunday afternoon against the Panthers.
Sophomore Miguel Belfort (Caracas, Venezuela) and junior Vince Bellino (Amesbury, Mass.) cruised to an 8-2 victory in the No. 2 doubles match. Freshman James Barnhart (Longmeadow, Mass.) and freshman Nick Majewski(Longmeadow, Mass.) wrapped up doubles action with an 8-5 win.
The Warriors captured three of the six singles matches to seal the Northeast-10 conference victory.
Belfort dominated in No. 1 singles with a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Sander Brenner before Pronesti defeated Villarruel at No. 2 singles, 6-1, 6-4. Bellino picked up the Warriors sixth point of the afternoon with an 8-2 win against Zapata.However, Adelphi closed out the match with wins in No. 4 singles, No. 5 singles and No. 6 singles, respectively
East Region Rankings
1 Concordia College (NY)
3 Chestnut Hill College
5 Merrimack College
6 Queens College (NY)
8 Bentley University
9 Stonehill College
10 Adelphi University
- In doubles action, C. Barnhart and Pronesti currently rank fourth in the east region with a 10-2 dual match mark.
- With the huge conference win over Adelphi on Saturday, the Warriors are second in the NE-10 Standings with a 6-0 conference mark.
- In singles action, Belfort is 16th in the east region rankings with 7-5 dual match mark.
- In conference play, Merrimack is 29-1 in single action while posting a 15-0 record in doubles action.
Scouting the NYIT Bears:
- The Bears are coming off an 8-1 victory against Queens Wednesday afternoon.
- Julio Pulido and Nicolas Auruccio ranks fifth and sixth in the east region rankings, respectively.
- In doubles action, Auruccio / Pulido are second in the east regiopn rankings.
- NYIT has a .778 winning percentage this season as well as posting a 7-3 road record.