Men’s Tennis Defeated By Division I Boston University, 7-0
Score: Boston 7, Merrimack 0
Records: Merrimack (3-2, 2-0 NE-10) | Boston University (2-4, 0-0 PL)
Location: Track and Tennis | Boston, Mass.
How It Happened
The Warriors did not pick up a point in singles action all day long as sophomore Matt Pronesti (Mission Viejo, Calif.) was defeated in No. 1 singles by the score of 6-2, 6-1. The best chance the Warriors had to pick up a singles point was in No. 2 singles. Sophomore Miguel Belfort (Caracas, Venezuela) played well, but was defeated by Jesse Frieder by the score of 6-4, 6-1.
In doubles action, the Warriors could not pick up a point as Pronesti and senior Chris Barnhart (Longmeadow, Mass.) were downed in No. 1 doubles by the score of 7-4. The duo of freshman James Barnhart (Longmeadow, Mass.) and junior Vince Bellino (Amesbury, Mass.) put in a good effort, but were defeated by the score of 8-5 in doubles action.
A Closer Look
1. Chanon Varapongsittikul (BU) def. Pronesti (MER): 6-2, 6-1
2. Jesse Frieder (BU) def. Belfort (MER): 6-4, 6-1
3. Mario Sandoval (BU) def. C. Barnhart (MER): 6-2, 6-0
4. Emilio Teran (BU) def. J. Barnhart (MER): 6-2, 6-0
5. Jay Leelavanich (BU) def. V. Bellino (MER): 8-2
6. Jake De Vries (BU) def. Nick Majewski (Brewster, Mass.) (MER): 8-1
1. Varapongsittikul/Frieder (BU) led Pronesti/C. Barnhart (MER): 7-4, unfinished
2. Stefan Lemire / Sandoval (BU) def. J. Barnhart/Bellino (MER): 8-5
3. Leelavanich/De Vries (BU) def. Belfort/Majewski (MER): 8-2
The Warriors return to action on Saturday, Feb. 22 when they travel to Bronxville, N.Y. to take on Concordia. First match is scheduled for 2:30 p.m.