Men’s Tennis Defeated By Division I Boston University, 7-0
BOSTON, MA– The Merrimack men's tennis team was defeated on Wednesday night by Division I Boston University by the score of 7-0. With the loss, Merrimack drops to 3-2 overall and 3-0 in Northeast-10 Conference play.
The Warriors did not pick up a point in singles action all night long as Miguel Belfort (Caracas, Venezuela) was defeated in number one singles by the score of 6-2, 6-0. The best chance the Warriors had to pick up a singles point was in four singles. Chris Barnhart (Longmeadow, Mass.) played well but was defeated by Emilio Teran by the score of 6-2, 7-5.
In doubles action, the Warriors could not pick up a point as Matt Lipinski (Arlington, Mass.) and Matt Pronesti (Mission Viejo, Calif.) were downed in number one doubles by the score of 8-7, 8-7. The duo of Petar Golijanin (Novi Sad, Serbia) and Belfort put in a good effort but were defeated by the score of 8-5 in their doubles match.
The Warriors will return to action on Sunday as they will travel to take on Eckerd College at 10 a.m.
1) Josh Friedman (BU) def. Miguel Belfort (Merrimack): 6-2, 6-0
2) Chanon Varapongsittikul (BU) def. Matt Pronesti (Merrimack): 6-3, 6-0
3) Jesse Frieder (BU) def. Matt Lipinski (Merrimack): 6-0, 6-1
4) Emilio Teran (BU) def. Chris Barnhart (Merrimack): 6-2, 7-5
5) Eric Miller (BU) def. Vince Bellino (Merrimack): 6-0, 6-1
6) Stefan Lemire (BU) def. Peter Golijanin (Merrimack): 6-0, 6-3
1) Friedman/Varapongsittikul (BU) def. Lipinski/Pronesti (Merrimack): 8-7(2)
2) Frieder/Teran (BU) def. Bellino/Barnhart (Merrimack): 8-2
3) Michael Kopelman / Lemire (BU) def. Golijanin/Belfort (Merrimack): 8-5