Men’s Tennis Clipped by #7 Concordia, Ousted from NCAA Tournament
NORTH ANDOVER, MA- The Merrimack men's tennis team suffered a 5-0 loss to top-seeded Concordia in the second round of the NCAA Tournament East Regional. The Warriors finish the season with an 18-8 overall mark. The Clippers advance to the NCAA Spring Sports Festival in Louisville, KY and improve to 18-7 on the year.
"This has been an outstanding season for this team and I am extremely proud of every player," said head coach Sean Tully. "We achieved numerous team goals this year and these six players worked very hard to win the program's first-ever Northeast-10 Title and reach the NCAA Tournament once again. I am excited for next year and we will build upon the success of this team."
The visitors captured three doubles wins to own a 3-0 lead at the beginning of singles play. Seniors Max Eppley (Malaga, Spain) and Sean Pahler (Rumson, NJ) dropped an 8-4 decision at the top slot. Vince Bellino (Amesbury, MA) and Chris Barnhart (Longmeadow, MA) absorbed an 8-2 loss at the No. 2 position. Petar Golijanin (Novi Sad, Serbia) and Chris Toegemann (Narragansett, RI) fell 8-4 at the third doubles spot.
Concordia picked up two victories in singles action to clinch the match. Barnhart endured a 6-0, 6-1 loss at the No. 1 position and Toegemann dropped a 6-0, 6-2 decision at the No. 6 slot.
The Warriors competed in their fifth-straight and fifth-ever NCAA Tournament this season. Merrimack is 2-5 all-time in NCAA Tournament matches.
1. Frey/Olfans (CON) def. Eppley/Pahler (MER) 8-4
2. Piludu/Bazula (CON) def. Bellino/Barnhart (MER) 8-2
3. Lindell/Tisserand (CON) def. Golijanin/Toegemann (MER) 8-4
1. Piludu (CON) def. Barnhart (MER) 6-0, 6-1
2. Eppley (MER) vs. Bazula (CON) unfinished
3. Golijanin (MER) vs. Tisserand (CON) unfinished
4. Bellino (MER) vs. Olfans (CON) unfinished
5. Pahler (MER) vs. Mozer (CON) unfinished
6. Lindell (CON) def. Toegemann (MER) 6-0, 6-2