MELBOURNE, FL- The Merrimack men's tennis team dropped a 7-2 decision at #47 Florida Tech Friday afternoon to close out its trip to the Sunshine State. The Warriors sink to 7-5 on the year while the Panther improve to 11-7 overall.
"Today's match was a tough fought match against a good team," said head coach Sean Tully. "Overall, I thought our trip to Florida was successful. We played a lot of quality opponents which will benefit us as the season goes on."
Florida Tech grabbed a pair of victories in doubles play to cling to a 2-1 lead at the start of singles action. Chris Barnhart (Longmeadow, MA) and Vince Bellino (Amesbury, MA) secured Merrimack's only doubles victory on the day. The Warriors' No. 2 tandem posted an 8-6 win.
Petar Golijanin (Novi Sad, Serbia) and Chris Toegemann (Narragansett, RI) suffered an 8-2 loss at the No. 3 spot. Sean Pahler (Rumson, NJ) and Max Eppley (Malaga, Spain) dropped an 8-1 decision at the top slot.
The Panthers picked up five singles wins to extend their winning-streak to five matches.
Bellino logged the visitors' lone victory in singles play against Florida Tech. The rookie prevailed 6-4, 7-5 at the No. 4 position.
Pahler triumphed in the first set 6-2 at the fifth spot but the Panther's Barry Dylewski leveled the match with a 6-4 win in the second frame. Pahler suffered a 10-3 loss in the third-set super tiebreaker.
Merrimack will restart conference play March 27 as it hosts Assumption.
1. Clerc/Abarra (FIT) def. Pahler/Eppley (MER) 8-1
2. Barnhart/Bellino (MER) def. Schmidt/Dylewski (FIT) 8-6
3. Pate/Fieldsend (FIT) def. Golijanin/Toegemann (MER) 8-2
1. Clerc (FIT) def. Eppley (MER) 6-4, 6-0
2. Lorenz (FIT) def. Barnhart (MER) 6-4, 6-0
3. Fieldsend (FIT) def. Golijanin (MER) 6-4, 6-1
4. Bellino (MER) def. Schmidt (FIT) 6-4, 7-5
5. Dylewski (FIT) def. Pahler (MER) 2-6, 6-4, 10-3
6. Pate (FIT) def. Toegemann (MER) 6-1, 6-0