Men's Soccer to Host American International on Homecoming Weekend
THE WARRIORS LOOK TO PUSH THEIR WINNING STREAK TO FIVE
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Aiming for its twelfth win of the season, the Merrimack College men's soccer team welcomes the Yellow Jackets of American International to Martone-Mejail Field Friday, Oct. 25, for a Northeast-10 Conference showdown to kick off Homecoming Weekend.
Date/Time: Friday, Oct. 25, 2013 | 7 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (11-3, 9-2) | American International (5-7-2, 3-6-2)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover, Mass.
Last Time Out
The Warriors extended their winning streak to four with a 2-1 victory over Saint Anselm Tuesday nights at Martone-Mejail Field.
In the 31st minute, sophomores Ronald Ried (Schwendi, Germany) tallied his second goal of the season after scoring off a penalty kick to give Merrimack a 1-0 lead heading into halftime. Merrimack helped a 15-3 shot advantage in the first half.
With the Warriors up 1-0, freshman Alexander Alleyne (Swampscott, Mass.) scores off a volleyed header by Daniel Holland (Dryden, N.Y) which was off a Ryan Miller (New Braintree, Mass.) corner kick, to extend the lead to 2-0.
Saint Anselm forward Zachary Heckt brought the game to within one point after a long feed from George Lamptey. Entering the 89 minute of play, Saint Anselm had their final opportunity to tie the game but was unsuccessful against the Merrimack keeper Jose Silva (Northborough, Mass.).
Last Season against the Yellow Jackets
- Merrimack defeated American International, 1-0 in the regular season.
- Former senior captain Alejandro Fuchs (Caracas, Venezuela) booted the game-winning goal by means of a penalty kick
- Merrimack held an 11-4 advantage in shots in the first half before limiting the Yellow Jackets to just two shot attempts in the second half.
- The Yellow Jackets fired three shots – including one on net – but both keepers recorded a save apiece in the first overtime.
- Heading into the second 10-minute, sudden-death frame, the Warriors mustered the only shot attempt through the opening five minutes before the infraction set up Fuchs' penalty kick.
- Merrimack defeats American International, 3-1 in the Northeast-10 Quarterfinals
- Ried, Michael Buraczynski (Littleton, Mass.), and Olof Lindhe (Stockholm, Sweden) tallied the three goals for Merrimack.
- AIC did claw to within a goal in the 57th minute, as Kevin Pereira pushed in a rebound into an open net after the initial shot by Conor Doyle was stopped.
- Merrimack owned the battle in shot attempts with an 18-14 advantage on the game, although the visitors did push eight shots on target.
- Both sides combined for 31 fouls, while the Warriors were awarded all four corner kicks in the game.
- Merrimack is currently ranked second in the Northeast-10, while Adelphi sits a game behind the Warriors.
- As a team, Merrimack ranks seventh in the nation with a .86 save percentage.
- J. Silva currently ranks 12th in the national averaging a .857 save percentage and 0.62 goals-against average.
- The Warriors are third in the Northeast-10 with 20 goals scored this season.
- Coming off a 2-0 loss at the College of Saint Rose.
- The Yellow Jackets are 10th in the Nortehast-10 with a 3-6-2 conference record.
- Keeper Jason Ryan has posted 74 saves, while tallying goals-against average of 1.69.
- Forward Ed Sharman is second in the NE-10 with 11 goals scored this season.