Late Score Sinks Men’s Soccer at Le Moyne 3-2 in Northeast-10 Tournament Quarterfinals

SYRACUSE, NY- A goal in the 83rd minute broke a 2-2 tie as the Merrimack men's soccer team fell in the Northeast-10 Conference Tournament quarterfinals at Le Moyne Tuesday afternoon. The loss dropped the fifth-seeded Warriors to 9-7-3 overall. The fourth-seeded Dolphins improved 11-7-1 on the year as they advance to the semifinals.

Franklin Pena (San Salvador, El Salvador) netted his fourth goal of the season in the seventh minute of the match. Pena volleyed a shot into the left post from outside the penalty box to give Merrimack a 1-0 advantage early in the game.

Olof Lindhe (Stockholm, Sweden) made it a two-goal margin with his second marker of the year. After Evan Burokas (Auburn, MA) hit the crossbar on a free kick attempt, Lindhe knocked in the rebound into the open net in the 36th minute.

Le Moyne got on the board just 21 seconds later as Cal Filtch tallied his first goal of the season. Filtch headed in a crossed served in by Casey Murphy to draw the Dolphins to within a goal.

The Warriors held onto the 2-1 edge at the midway point of the match. The visitors owned a 7-1 lead in shots and earned three corner kicks through 45 minutes of action.

The hosts knotted the contest at 2-2 in the 52nd minute as Alexander Lautner scored his fourth goal of the fall. Lautner found the back of the net from three yards out to tie the game. Zachary MacNabb picked up an assist on the equalizer.

Le Moyne scored the go-ahead goal in the 83rd minute of the match, claiming its first lead of the day. MacNabb floated a shot on frame that landed inside the left post for his third of the season. Murphy rolled a pass back to MacNabb outside the penalty area to set up the marker.

Merrimack finished the game with a 17-9 advantage in shots, including an 8-5 edge in attempts on goal. The Warriors were awarded seven corner kicks in the game while conceding just two.

Between the posts, Evan Berube (Uxbridge, MA) stopped two shots in his final collegiate match. Matthew Silva made six saves in goal for the Dolphins in the contest.

"We played well and with confidence in the first half and we set the tempo," said head coach Tony Martone. "Our senior class has contributed so much to this program and they have showed tons of dedication and determination in the past four years."