#8 Men's Lacrosse Downs Assumption, 10-7, in Reg. Season Finale; Playoffs Begin Tuesday
Links: Box Score
WORCESTER, Mass. – Paced by a hat trick from junior attackman Kyle Guilbert (Walpole, Mass.) and three other two-goal efforts, the eighth-ranked Merrimack College men's lacrosse team concluded the regular season on a high note thanks to a 12-7 Northeast-10 Conference victory at Assumption College on Saturday afternoon.
Score: #8 Merrimack 12, Assumption 7
Records: #8 Merrimack (10-4, 9-2 NE-10) | Assumption (5-9, 3-8 NE-10)
Location: Multi-Sport Stadium | Worcester, Mass.
Northeast-10 Championship Outlook
Conference records shown; Top-two seeds receive byes; #3 hosts #6, #4 hosts #5 in First Round
- Adelphi (11-0)
- Le Moyne (9-1) Won head-to-head vs. Merrimack
- Merrimack (9-2)
- Bentley (7-4)
- So. New Hampshire (6-5)
- Saint Anselm (5-6) Won head-to-head vs. Saint Michael's
- Saint Michael's (4-6)
- Merrimack will host #6 Saint Anselm Tuesday (April 29) in NE-10 Championship First Round
- Winner of Tuesday's game will play #2 Le Moyne next Friday (March 2)
How It Happened
In a mostly tightly played contest throughout, the two sides fought to a 1-1 draw after 15 minutes before Merrimack rattled off three straight tallies to close out the half, as four different Warriors found the back of the net to give the visitors a 4-2 edge after 30 minutes.
Continuing the game-long trend of even play, Merrimack and Assumption went goal-for-goal as part of a third quarter that saw each side tally three markers apiece.
Leading by three (8-5) in the fourth, Merrimack wrapped up the win by outscoring the hosts, 5-2, wrapping up the final five-goal margin of victory.
Inside The Numbers
- In addition to Guilbert's hat trick, junior Jamie Shand (Massapequa, N.Y.), senior Paul Jones (Guilderland, N.Y.) and sophomore Tim Towler (Topsfield, Mass.) tallied two markers apiece while junior Andrew Vivian (Slingerlands, N.Y.), freshman Tucker Schwarz (Tallahassee, Fla.) and sophomore Ryan Poirier (Warwick, R.I.) each tickled the twine
- As far as total points went, Jones led all Warriors with five points (2g, 3a) on the day, while Shand finished second with four (2g, 2a); Vivian also added an assist of his own
- In net, freshman Dom Madonna (Liverpool, N.Y.) turned in a 10-save effort over 60 minutes while benefitting from a Warrior defense that caused five turnovers
- Outshooting the hosts by a 36-33 margin, Merrimack finished 2-for-2 with its man-up offense and kept Assumption off the board on their two man-up opportunities
The third-seeded Warriors will welcome sixth-seeded Saint Anselm to campus for a Tuesday (April 29) Northeast-10 Championship First Round meeting at Martone-Mejail Field. Opening whistle is set for 7 p.m.