#8 Men’s Lacrosse Hosts Franklin Pierce in Tuesday Conference Clash
MEN'S LACROSSE EYES 2-0 START AGAINST RAVENS TUESDAY AT MARTONE-MEJAIL FIELD
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – Fresh off an eight-goal win in its season opener, the eighth-ranked Merrimack College men's lacrosse team eyes a 2-0 start to the year when it plays host to Northeast-10 Conference foe Franklin Pierce on Tuesday afternoon at Martone-Mejail Field. Opening faceoff is set for 3 p.m.
Date/Time: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 | 3 p.m.
Records: #8 Merrimack (2-0, 1-0 NE-10) | Franklin Pierce (0-0, 0-0 NE-10)
Location: Martone-Mejail Field | North Andover
Last Time Out: Merrimack 11, Saint Rose 3
Fueled by a balanced offensive attack that saw eight different players register a goal and a dominant effort in the faceoff X by sophomore Andrew Walsh, Merrimack powered its way to a victory in its home- and season-opener, as the Warriors picked up an 11-3 victory against Saint Rose in Northeast-10 Conference action on Saturday at Martone-Mejail Field.
The Warriors took a 4-1 lead into halftime before exploding for seven of the game's final nine goals, while Walsh finished 11-for-14 in faceoffs over the course of the afternoon.
Five Warriors registered their first goals in a Merrimack uniform on Saturday: rookies Jack Trask, Tucker Schwarz (2) and Max Allen (2), as well as junior transfer Andrew Vivian all buried either their first collegiate goals or first goals with the program against Saint Rose.
In net, junior Morgan Green posted two saves in the first half and picked up the victory, while freshman Dom Madonna added two more stops in the second half. Saint Rose's Joe Shapiro finished with eight stops for the visitors.
For the full recap from Saturday, please click here!
Last Season vs. Franklin Pierce: Merrimack 17, Franklin Pierce 4
Then-senior Greg Melaugh led the Warriors with six goals, as Merrimack cruised to a dominant 17-4 victory at Franklin Pierce on April 3, 2013.
Merrimack exploded for five goals in the first period en route to opening the game on an 8-0 run, setting the tone early and often against the Ravens. In addition to Melaugh's six markers, Jamie Shand added five points (3g, 2a) while former Warrior Corey Lunney added three goals and an assist. Morgan Green posted seven saves in net to limit the Ravens' offense.
The Warriors paced virtually every stat category, outshooting the Ravens, 55-25, and holding a 30-27 edge in ground balls. Merrimack went a perfect 13-for-13 in clears and won 17-of-5 draws while finishing 2-for-5 in man-up opportunities.
- Saw eight different players register a goal in Saturday's season opener, with three two-goal performances
- Went 14-for-17 in faceoffs and clears against Saint rose while finish 1-for-5 in man-up opportunities
- Piled on 48 shot attempts and scooped up 54 ground balls against the Golden Knights
- Will be the second straight opponent to open their 2014 campaign against the Warriors, as the Ravens have yet to play a contest this spring
- Were picked eighth out of 12 teams in the league's preseason poll
- Were in contention for the sixth and final playoff spot in 2013 before ultimately settling with a 5-8 overall mark and 4-7 conference record
- Junior attackman Eddie Noonan and junior goalie Don Denman were named to the NEILA Division II All-New England Preseason Team
- Noonan missed all of 2013 due to an injury but was one of the top players in the region in 2011 and 2012
- Denmen, meanwhile, led the NE-10 with 195 saves in 2013 and posted five victories