WARRIORS CHALLENGE RAVENS IN A THREE-GAME, TWO-DAY NE-10 CONFERENCE BATTLE
NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. – The Merrimack College baseball team looks to snap its two-game losing streak, as the Warriors travel to Rindge, N.H. to take on Northeast-10 foe No. 29 Franklin Pierce in a three-game, two day conference battle.
Date/Time: Saturday, April 12, 2014 | 12 p.m. & 3 p.m
Date/Time: Sunday, April 13, 2014 | 1 p.m.
Records: Merrimack (14-11, 2-4 Northeast Div. ) | Franklin Pierce (23-11, 5-3 Northeast Div.)
Location: Dr. Arthur and Martha Pappas Field | Rindge, N.H.
Last Time Out
On Wednesday, Bentley University rallied for a 6-5 walk-off win over the Merrimack College baseball team in Northeast Division baseball.
Merrimack jumped on top early with two runs in the top of the first before tallying three runs off one hit in the top of the fourth. Down by five, Bentley rallied back to slice the deficit to two (5-3), as the hosts tallied three unearned runs in the bottom of the seventh. After the Warriors left two runners on base in the eighth, Bentley continued its rally and brought the score to within one (5-4).
In the ninth, Bentley's pitching staff kept Merrimack's offense quiet. In the bottom of the ninth, an RBI single to right field allowed the tying run to score. With the bases loaded and two outs, Bentley's game-winning run came off a wild pitch by sophomore Mike Nolan (Pembroke, Mass.).
Last Season vs. Franklin Pierce
In game one of the series, the Ravens defeated Merrimack 4-1 at the Warrior Baseball Diamond. The Ravens jumped out to an early 4-0 lead in the top of the first. Down by four in the third, the Warriors brought the score to within three (4-1) but was unable to come up with a late rally.
Following the loss, the Warriors came together and swept the Ravens, 7-3 and 3-2. In the first game of the day, the Ravens battled back to with three (5-2) but, Merrimack responded with two more runs in the seventh to secure the 7-3 win.
In the final game of the series, Merrimack used a pair of two-out hits in the bottom of the ninth to post a walk-off and series-clinching victory over the Ravens to wrap up the sweep.
- As a team, Merrimack is posting a .291 batting average as well as a .396 slugging percentage.
- On the season, the Warriors have stolen 69 bases but have been caught stealing 20 different times.
- Merrimack's bullpen has a 4.86 ERA while Nolan leads the Warriors with a 0.67 ERA.
- Sophomore Frank Crinella (Springfield, Mass.) continues to lead the team and ranks second in the league with a .416 batting average.
Scouting the Franklin Pierce Ravens:
- Franklin Pierce is currently on a five-game winning streak as the Ravens are coming off a 5-2 win over Assumption on Thursday.
- The Ravens lead the NE-10 in RBI (162), hits (311), runs (193) and stolen bases (124).
- Outfielder John Razzino ranks third in the league with 26 RBIs while posting a .278 batting average.
- Right hander Joe Flynn averages 12.37 strikes per game as well as posting a 2.27 ERA and a 5-2 overall record.